Summary: A unique and flexible new worktext for high-level developmental writers, 11 Essentials of Effective Writing is organized around the 11 qualities and approaches of good writing, among them vivid language, logical organization, and interesting openings. The author further emphasizes that these essential traits are present in all effective expository prose : academic, personal, and professional. In addition to actual student and professional examples, the worktex ...show moret includes extensive apparatus plus an appendix of student compositions. Edition/Copyright: 00
- The text's flexible organization extends beyond highlighting the 11 essential qualities of effective writing; for instructors who prefer a rhetorical approach, Chapters 1-3 correspond to expressive compositions, 4-9 to expository writing, and 10-11 to argument.
- Students learn to transfer their new skills across all their writing : academic, personal, and professional. In addition to essays, the text's sample compositions include summaries, memorandums, reports, research papers, and letters.
- Examples from student and professional writers demonstrate both successful use of an essential trait from the text as well as work requiring revision.
- An appendix of additional sample student compositions reflects successful use of the skills and concepts discussed throughout the text and provides students with good models.
- Apparatus includes highlighted Tips throughout, Chapter Summaries to reinforce major concepts, a Revision Checklist at the end of the text, and Suggested Writing Activities concluding each chapter.
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt