on Orders of $25 or more*
|Get your books quickly and easily... and pay nothing for shipping. Just order $25 or more and standard shipping is on us (excludes Marketplace and Rental offerings).|
|$3.99 flat rate|
|UPS 2nd Day Air*||$11.99 flat rate|
|UPS Next Day Air*||$19.98 flat rate|
* Not available for PO boxes and APO/FPO
** Saturday delivery is only available in certain areas. UPS standard rates apply.
*** Separate shipping rates apply for bulk orders
Summary: This book offers step-by-step instructional procedures for developing key reading skills for comprehension, vocabulary and fluency. The 50 strategies in this book are designed to support teachers in assessing the strategies currently used by students. The teacher can then use the knowledge gained through assessment to help students: *learn to process text, * use the comprehension processes that strong readers use, and * acquire vocabulary and fluency in a way that will support their ...show morecomprehension and overall learning in the classroom and in life. Inservice Teachers and Reading/Literacy Specialists. ...show lessEdition/Copyright: 2ND 06
I. WORD- AND SENTENCE-LEVEL COMPREHENSION.
1. Collecting Words: Learning the Nuances of Word Meanings.
2. Structural Analysis: Focusing on the Meaning of Word Parts.
3. Word Mapping: Exploring Word Meanings and Applications.
4. Word Origin Studies: Linking Word Histories and Roots to Word Comprehension.
5. Vocabulary Processing: Multiple Strategies Approach.
6. Text Talk: Scaffolding Comprehension Through Oral Discussion.
7. Microselection: Introducing the Concepts of Keywords and Main Ideas.
8. Fluency Strategies: Multiple Approaches.
II. PARAGRAPH-LEVEL COMPREHENSION.
9. Anaphoric Relations: Word Substitutions.
10. Connectives: Focusing on Words that Support Cohesion and Inference.
11. Text Charting: Exploring the Connections among Sentences.
12. Inferences: Filling in the Missing Pieces.
13. Read, Pair, Share: Working with a Partner to Answer Questions.
14. Cooperative Scripts: Working in Pairs to Improve Comprehension and Recall.
15. GIST (Generating Interaction Between Schemata and Text): Making Comprehension Connections.
III. INTEGRATING BACKGROUND KNOWLEDGE.
16. Predicting: Using Past Experiences to Support Comprehension.
17. Perspective Taking: Getting Into the Minds of the Characters.
18. Double-Entry Journals: Connecting Experiences to Text.
19. Read/Think Aloud: Emphasizing Connections and Thought Processes.
20. Series Book Studies: Building Background Knowledge through Familiar Story Elements.
21. Intertextual Studies: Comparing Story Elements to Build Comprehension.
22. Graphic Organizers: Visually Representing Ideas, Text, and Connections.
23. Critical Reading: Analyzing Text through Higher-Level Thinking Activities.
24. Imagination, Images, and Interaction: Creating and Describing Mental Pictures.
IV. HOLISTIC COMPREHENSION.
25. KWL Charts: Supporting Comprehension Into, Through, and Beyond Reading.
26. Data Charts: Organizing Information to Aid Comprehension and Recall.
27. Drama Centers: Building Comprehension through Active Processing.
28. Story Retelling Boxes: Using Props to Reenact Stories.
29. Script Writing: Investigating and Analyzing Text.
30. Readers Theatre: Using Active Reading Processes to Enhance Comprehension.
31. Story Structure Studies: Recognizing and Building on Narrative Story Elements.
32. Text Mapping: A Travelers'Guide to Comprehension.
33. Summarization: Identifying the Main Idea and Supporting Details.
34. NIPS: An Interactive Support Strategy for Comprehending "Tough" Text.
V. SELF-MONITORING STRATEGIES.
35. Cross-Checking: Self-Monitoring at the Sentence Level.
36. Periodic Paraphrasing: Monitoring Your Own Understanding.
37. Self-Monitoring through Imaging and Interacting: Demonstrating Understanding.
38. Note Taking: Identifying and Monitoring Understanding of Important Information.
39. Reciprocal Teaching: A Cooperative Approach to Comprehension Monitoring.
40. Fix-up Strategies: Knowing What to Do When Reading Doesn't Make Sense.
41. SQ4R: An Approach to Studying for Comprehension and Memory.
VI. ASSESSMENT TO INFORM INSTRUCTION.
42. Literacy Observation Checklists: Observing and Conferencing to Document and Set Goals.
43. Vocabulary Rating: Assessing Word Understanding and Use.
44. Retelling for Assessment: Using Free Recall to Determine Depth of Understanding.
45. Comprehension Style Assessment: How Does the Reader Construct Meaning?
46. Cloze Assessment: Evaluating the Use of Comprehension Processes.
47. Think-Aloud: Assessing Comprehension Strategy Use.
48. Process Questions: Identifying Metacognitive Strategies.
Get Free Shipping on orders over $25 (not including Rental and Marketplace). Order arrives in 5-10 business days.
Need it faster?
We offer fast, flat-rate expedited shipping options.
|Sell it back by:|
|Guaranteed cash back:|
|Cost of this book|
after cash back:
Take advantage of Guaranteed Cash Back. Send your book to us in good condition before the end of the buyback period, we'll send YOU a check, and you'll pay less for your textbooks!
When you're done with this book, sell it back to Textbooks.com. In addition to the the best possible buyback price, you'll get an extra 10% cash back just for being a customer.
We buy good-condition used textbooks year 'round, 24/7. No matter where you bought it, Textbooks.com will buy your textbooks for the most cash.
Being online is not required for reading an eTextbook after successfully downloading it. You must only be connected to the Internet during the download process.
What is the Marketplace?
It's another way for you to get the right price on the books you need. We approved every Marketplace vendor to sell their books on Textbooks.com, so you know they're all reliable.
What are Marketplace shipping options?
Marketplace items do not qualify for free shipping. When ordering from the Marketplace, please specify whether you want the seller to send your book Standard ($3.99/item) or Express ($6.99/item). To get free shipping over $25, just order directly from Textbooks.com instead of through the Marketplace.
FREE UPS 2nd Day Air TermsRental and Marketplace items are excluded. Offer is valid from 1/21/2013 12:00PM to 1/23/2013 11:59AM CST. Your order must be placed by 12 Noon CST to be processed on the same day. Minimum order value is $100.00 excluding Rental and Marketplace items. To redeem this offer, select "FREE UPS 2ND DAY AIR" at checkout. Offer not is not valid on previous orders.