Summary: Incorporating the most successful theories of second language acquisition, À vous! offers both inductive and deductive grammar presentations, along with practical vocabulary and rich coverage of French and Francophone cultures. The five skills and the National Standards for Foreign Language Learning are integrated into each chapter, with special emphasis on cross-cultural comparisons.Edition/Copyright: 08
The À vous! program's innovative and comprehensive introduc ...show moretion to French language and culture encourages students to link an analytical approach to studying the French language with a personal, sensorial experience, much as they would encounter in the French-speaking countries of the world. They are given the opportunity to explore the varied cultures represented by the French language and the delightful flavors of French and Francophone cuisine through recipes presented in the textbook and in the video. Realia featured throughout the À vous! program provide a visual approach to culture, while audio and video clips of native speakers expose students to the various accents and dialectical differences within the Francophone world.
- Inductive grammar presentations combined with deductive explanations encourage students to first build comprehension skills and then work through a deductive process, complete with consciousness-raising activities and practice that ranges from mechanical to open-ended.
- Dialogues preceding each vocabulary section introduce new words in contexts that are realistic, engaging, and meaningful to students.
- Vérifiez votre compréhension boxed sections concluding each grammar presentation offer self-correcting thought-provoking questions to help students determine whether they have understood the grammar explanation and if they can find instances of the grammar in context.
- Integrated culture coverage invites students to examine the French-speaking world from another's point of view, compare that world to their own culture, and then complete related activities that focus on various Francophone cultures.
- Process approach to all skills guides students through the material with consistent recycling of vocabulary and grammar; pre-, during-, and post-reading activities that promote solid writing; and strong reading comprehension support.
- Communicative activities and tasks encourage students to interact through interviews, debates, and role-plays that culminate in a follow-up task designed for total student participation.
- Mise en pratique review section invites students to experience the Francophone world through a rich variety of media and authentic readings, to demonstrate their proficiency of the chapter material, and to carry out self-assessment activities.
- Le français pour quoi faire in the Mise en pratique section helps students understand the importance of studying French and highlights possible future uses of French outside of the classroom.
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Year Published: 2008
Other Editions of A Vous! - With CD and Student Activities Manual: