Summary: This book explores the essential theories and techniques of modern algebra, including its problem-solving skills, basic proof techniques, many unusual applications, and the interplay between algebra and geometry. It takes a concrete, example-oriented approach to the subject matter.Edition/Copyright: 96
- Provides sample foundational material - both at the beginning of the text and in the appendices - w ...show morehile not avoiding calculus.
- Features a "rings" first approach to make abstract concepts more accessible. Over 225 substantial examples and 750 exercises (many having multiple parts) are provided.
- Geometry is slowly integrated through the text to make the abstract concrete and permit more structures to play with.
- Culminates in Chapter 8 with the true integration of geometry and algebra.
- Encourages the use of geometric models to discover the relations between group theory and geometry.
Publisher: Prentice Hall, Inc.
Year Published: 1996