Summary: Designed to accompany a reading text at the highest reading level, readings cover academic subjects while making the study of vocabulary fun through a variety of thematic readings, interactive exercises and self-tests.Edition/Copyright: 2ND 05
The chapters and exercises are "scaffolded" so that what has been presented in previous chapters is reinforced progressively as the student moves through the book. A variety of exercises stimulate different learning styles as well ...show moreas encourage cross-referencing of the words through different contexts. Self tests and games in each chapter round out the exposure for each vocabulary word. Word parts are covered in three chapters.
New To This Edition
- Academic readings. Each reading is taken from a popular and accessible source covering a different academic area.
- Four-color visual design. Visual clues linked with words facilitate vocabulary acquisition.
- Interactive exercises. The exercises give students an opportunity to play with words and put them into personal contexts to facilitate learning.
- Scaffolded readings. Each progressive reading uses previously presented vocabulary words in a new context, giving students continuous contact with new words.
- Flashcards. Flashcards are located at the end of the book for student practice.
- Refined in-chapter organization. The interactive exercises are now the last exercise in each chapter, providing greater benefit to students once they have completed all of the practice exercises in the chapter.
- More exercises. An additional practice exercise, "Self-Test" is now included in each chapter and gives students even further practice to learn each vocabulary word.
- New Predicting exercise format. Students will write-out the definition from a choice of five definitions instead of picking from a list, helping students to remember the meaning of the word. The Predicting directions also ask students to cover the Word List making the section more useful.
- Hints. A brief and practical "Hint" box in every chapter helps students improve vocabulary, reading, and study skills.
Publisher: Longman, Inc.
Year Published: 2005
Other Editions of Academic Vocabulary : Academic Words: