Summary: Active Vocabularycovers both general words and academic subjects and is designed to accompany a reading text at the second tier reading level.Edition/Copyright: 3RD 07
This worktext is visually appealing to students, uses words in context, and provides a variety of activities including self-tests, writing assignments, collaborative projects, and games. The chapters and exercises are ''scaffolded'' so that what has been presented in previous chapters is reinforced progressively as t ...show morehe student moves through the book. Active Vocabulary includes a number of exercises to stimulate different learning styles as well as to encourage cross-referencing of the words through different contexts. Self-tests and games in each chapter round out the exposure for each vocabulary word. Four chapters on word parts are included, as well as three review chapters.
- A balance of academic and general readings engages students with high-interest and everyday topics (Part One), and text is taken from popular and accessible sources covering a different academic area (Part Two).
- A four-color visual design is used to link clues with words to improve vocabulary acquisition.
- Vocabulary is reinforced in context as each chapter begins with a reading with the ten vocabulary words embedded in the reading.
- Scaffolded (or progressive) readings use previously presented vocabulary words in a new context, giving students continuous contact with new words.
- Coverage of word parts - prefixes, roots, and suffixes -- spans three chapters.
- A brief and practical Hint box in every chapter helps students improve vocabulary, reading, and study skills.
- Flashcards are located at the end of the book for student practice.
- StudyWizard CD-ROM (optional) with exercises, recorded readings, and an audio pronunciation guide.
Publisher: Longman, Inc.
Year Published: 2007
Other Editions of Active Vocabulary : General and Academic Words -Text Only: