This edition has also been released as:
Summary: Offering the most comprehensive coverage available and broadening the audience scope to include students majoring in exercise science or coaching who are preparing for nonteaching positions, this new edition features a lifespan, cross-disciplinary approach valuable for both teaching and non-teaching professionals. Adapted Physical Activity, Recreation, and Sport emphasizes attitude change, inclusion, and psychosocial perspectives for understanding individual differen ...show moreces. Edition/Copyright: 6TH 04
New to This Edition
- The text places greater emphasis on inclusion as it relates to the general physical educator, since many children who have disabilities are receiving at least part of their physical education in the general education setting.
- A new chapter on aging and disability reflects the large percentage of persons over 65 who have disabilities. Coverage includes information on Alzheimer's disease and Parkinson's disease.
- The text places greater emphasis on the team approach, especially collaboration between the generalist in the classroom and the specialist as a consultant to the general physical educator, parents, and others in the community.
- Reflective and critical thinking questions reflect the activity-based approach that makes the chapter content relevant and personal; activities now highlighted with a wheelchair symbol appear throughout the text.
- Updated material includes the latest information needed to pass the APENS (Adapted Physical Education National Standards) examination, current updates to IDEA (the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act), analysis of future trends, and many revised references.
- The new edition focuses on the challenge of cross-cultural complexity, such as multiethnic classes, poverty, and new family trends.
- More case studies and practical examples demonstrate how to make strategies work.
- A glossary of major terms offers an easy reference and study tool.
- A new computerized test bank as well as downloadable supplements, such as a text-specific PowerPoint presentation, strengthen the ancillary package.
- PowerWeb, an outstanding online resource, is now packaged free with every new copy of the text!
- Incorporates the unique PAPTECA model (Planning, Assessment, Prescribing, Teaching, Evaluating, Consulting, Advocating)--a teaching aid developed by the author for her students.
- Emphasizes support services, inclusion, home-school-community teamwork, equal-status relationships with persons with disabilities, and transition into community-based sport and exercise.
- Covers conditions such as development coordination disability (DCD) and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
- Fully supports the NCPERD (National Consortium on Physical Education & Recreation for Individuals with Disabilities) competencies.
Publisher: McGraw-Hill Publishing Company