Summary: Locating up-to-date information on aerobic fitness doesn't have to be difficult and time-consuming anymore. Now you can find all the current knowledge on the subject in a single reference--Aerobic Fitness and Health.Edition/Copyright: 98
In this concise and very readable book, Roy J. Shephard, one of the world's leading authorities on exercise science, provides a comprehensive review and synthesis of the widely scattered scientific literature on aerobic fitness. While Shephard ...show morecovers a broad range of issues, he focuses on the interactions between physical activity, aerobic fitness, and health.
Shephard's critical analysis features the latest findings on aerobic exercise and its effects on such medical conditions as pregnancy, acute illness, cardiac and respiratory diseases, and metabolic disorders. He provides conclusive physiological evidence that exercise is effective not only as a tool in preventive medicine, but also as a means of improving the quality of life.
In this excellent reference, Shephard also
Aerobic Fitness and Health is indispensable for exercise physiologists and professionals active in the health promotion and public health fields. Fitness specialists, epidemiologists, gerontologists, and pediatricians will also find it an invaluable resource. ...show less
- defines the concepts of physical activity, aerobic fitness, and health, then presents a simple model linking the three components;
- offers new insights about the physiological determinants of aerobic fitness;
- examines the status of current fitness levels among children, adults, and the elderly and discusses the pros and cons of the different population studies used to assess these levels;
- takes an in-depth look at the opposing views--nature vs. nurture--on the source of aerobic fitness;
- explores the potential for improving aerobic fitness through increased physical activity; and
- identifies the many important health dividends of aerobic fitness and regular physical exercise.
- Each idea advanced in the book is thoroughly covered and rigorously documented to show a broad base of scientific support. The book's 1,300 references make it an excellent resource for those who want to investigate specific areas of aerobic research.
Publisher: Human Kinetics Publishers
Year Published: 1998