This edition has also been released as:
Summary: In this revision of her best-selling text, author Sonia Nieto explores the meaning, necessity, and benefits of multicultural education for students of all backgrounds. Edition/Copyright: 4TH 04
The text looks at how personal, social, political, cultural, and educational factors affect the success or failure of students in today's classroom. Expanding upon the popular case-study approach, the fourth edition examines the lives of 18 real students who are affected by multicultural edu ...show morecation, or a lack of it. Social justice is firmly embedded in this view of multicultural education, and teachers are encouraged to work for social change in their classrooms, schools, and communities.
- This text offers a critical approach to multicultural education, going beyond the "Taco Tuesdays" approach to teaching about diversity. It includes an exhaustive survey of the most up-to-date research.
- Fourteen case studies present real, diverse students to illuminate the need for multicultural education and how it affects students. These case studies capture readers' attention and make them truly care about the subject matter. Topics include racial, linguistic, religious, cultural, and sexual diversity.
- Case studies are followed by extensive commentary, which helps students examine the complex issues presented in the case studies and to think of solutions for future generations of students.
- An updated Epilogue provides an update on several of the students profiled.
New To This Edition
- New! Case studies that address sexual identity and being Islamic in the U.S. have been added to expand the meaning of diversity.
- New! "Snapshots" feature presents four mini-case studies to increase the topics covered to include Sikhism, biculturalism, Asian-American students, and adoption.
- New! Activities for personal, school, and community change engage readers with many suggestions for concrete and practical action.
- New! Tables and figures have been added to help students visualize demographic information that illustrates the need for an understanding of diversity in U.S. schools.
- New! A completely new Instructor's Manual and Companion Website provide support and tools for instructors and students.
- New! Attractive design and added pedagogy that includes new tables, figures, and artwork.
- TECHNOLOGY ADVANTAGE--Questions correlated to VideoWorkshop for Multicultural Education are located at the end of each chapter, giving students a first-hand glimpse into the multicultural classroom.
Publisher: Allyn & Bacon, Inc.
Year Published: 2004
Other Editions of Affirming Diversity : The Sociopolitical Context of Multicultural Education: