Summary: This best-selling reader is designed to transition students from reading highly controlled elementary-level materials to appreciating authentic literature. Written primarily in the twentieth century by authors from Spain, Latin America, and the United States, the 29 short stories in Album appear in order of increasing difficulty. Many features, including generous notes and glosses and a range of varied activities, aid comprehension, encourage oral and written self-ex ...show morepression, and promote cooperative learning, as well as critical thinking about the selections. Edition/Copyright: 3RD 05
- New! A lively design and new art enhance the text's visual appeal, while a new world map helps students situate Spanish-speaking countries in a global context.
- Expanded! The number of selections has been increased to 29 stories--12 of which are new--and features a stronger representation of female and US Latino writers including Esmeralda Santiago, Marjorie Agosin, Antonio Benitez Rojo, Claribel Alegría, Francisco Jiménez, and Isabel Allende.
- Revised! A range of practice reflects the new readings, with varied exercises for each selection--from comprehension checks to directed, interpretive, and comparative writing assignments, as well as pair and small group activities. This allows instructors to customize the materials to meet individual course objectives while addressing students' interests and abilities. All of the post-reading activities have been revised to elicit broader discussion and analysis, including the entirely new Comparaciones y contrastes topics, which foster critical-thinking skills and help prepare students for more advanced studies.
- New! Two audio CDs, recorded by native speakers, feature dramatic readings of each selection in the Third Edition. Correlated to the dramatic readings, practice in the all-new Audio section assesses students' listening comprehension through a series of true/false questions.
- Revised! Resources for enrichment and support in the Appendices have been revised and expanded. Apéndice A: Comparaciones y contrastes contains an expanded set of discussion topics that are divided into five parts: Personajes, Temas, Simbolismo/Estilo, and Ambiente, plus a new category called Perspectivas which suggests topics on which students may create their own comparative questions for analytical discussion or critical writing. Apéndice B: Al cine proposes thematically related feature-length or documentary films; Apéndice C: Términos literarios provides a bilingual list of literary terms; and Apéndice D: Respuestas de Otra vez contains the answers to the revised Otra vez activities which summarize the plot of the story.
- New! A password-protected Instructor Web Site provides additional resources to aid classroom instruction, including the audioscript for the dramatic readings and the answer key to the Audio activities. A new Internet section in each chapter directs students to the Student Web Site for links that provide additional information about each featured author, his/her work, relevant historical events and social movements of the time period, as well as information about the country or region featured in the work or in which the writer resides.
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt