Summary: The Second Edition of this best-selling text retains the core strengths of its first edition, namely: clear writing, abundant exercises, extensive pedagogy, and a complete support package but features a renewed emphasis on algebra. Graphing technology is now introduced only as part of a discovery learning approach. This important revision targets the progressive mainstream, a growing majority that now uses graphing technology to complement an otherwise traditional approach.
...show morestyle='padding:0px;padding-left:10px;margin:0px;'> ...show lessEdition/Copyright: 2ND 98
- The Second Edition includes more pedagogy for instructors who want to teach within a traditional framework. The pedagogy emphasizes discovery learning, modeling, real data, the rule of three (with more tables for increased numeric emphasis), and optional group work, and includes material on probability, statistics, and data analysis.
- In keeping with AMATYC philosophy, the graphing calculator is covered as an instructional tool, not a topic. Used in explorations, examples, and exercises in the Second Edition, technology helps students develop a concrete, visual understanding of mathematical concepts.
- With an emphasis on thinking, writing, and application, the Second Edition helps students see themselves as users of mathematics in their chosen fields.
- Clear explanations of concepts and procedures are provided in every feature: boxes highlighting procedures, definitions, and properties; numerous step-by-step worked examples with annotations; learning tips; notes providing special explanatory remarks; and Quick Reference sections summarizing major definitions, rules, properties, and procedures by subsection.
- The text emphasizes writing and critical thinking through Class Discussion questions and Think About It exercises. Speaking the Language features foster vocabulary development. And, writing exercises (indicated by pencil icon) offer opportunities to write about mathematical concepts.
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Year Published: 1998