Summary: For courses in Algebra and Trigonometry.
This text presents the traditional content of the entire Precalculus series of courses in a manner that answers the age-old question of "When will I ever use this?" Highlighting truly relevant applications, this text presents the material in an easy to teach from/easy to learn from approach.
...show lessEdition/Copyright: 2ND 04
- NEW--Added content throughout--i.e., factoring algebr ...show moreaic expressions containing fractional and negative exponents; relative maximum and relative minimum values of a function; and functions average rate of change.
- Helps students who will be going on to Calculus, and gives them an enhanced understanding of functions graphs and how those graphs are changing.
- NEW--Reorganized content in Chapters P and 1--Moves complex numbers and the discussion of graphs and graphing utilities from Chapter P to Chapter 1.
- Enables students to immediate apply their understanding of complex numbers to their work in solving quadratic equations, and sets the stage for using graphing to support the algebraic work in solving equations and inequalities developed in Chapter 1.
- NEW--Separate discussion on parallel and perpendicular lines--In section 2.1
- Provides students with a more complete and unified presentation of this material.
- NEW--A general discussion on cost and average cost functions--In section 3.6.
- Makes it possible for students to model these functions from verbal conditions before exploring the behavior of their graphs.
- NEW--New application involving cost functions, revenue functions, and break-even points--In section 8.1.
- Presents business majors with important topics, and gives students additional practice in developing functions that model verbal conditions.
- NEW--Applications and updated real-world data--Provides more interesting, real-world applications than found in any similar text.
- Brings relevance to examples, discussions, and applications.
- NEW--Rewritten, extensive, and well-organized exercise sets--At the end of each section exercises are organized by level within six category types: Practice Exercises, Application Exercises, Writing in Mathematics, Technology Exercises, Critical Thinking Exercises, and Group Exercises.
- Helps instructors easily create well-rounded homework assignments. Presents students with an ongoing selection of novel applications.
- NEW--Enrichment Essays and section openers--Includes the five all-time celebrity winners on Jeopardy!, and a comparison between the probability of dying and the probability of winning Floridas lottery.
- Provides historical, interdisciplinary, and interesting connections throughout the text.
- NEW--More Study Tip boxes--Appear in abundance throughout the book.
- Offers students suggestions for problem solving, point out common student errors, and provide informal tips and suggestions.
- NEW--Expanded number of optional technology boxes.
- Illustrates the many capabilities of graphing utilities that go beyond just graphing.
- NEW--Chapter Review Grids--Feature summaries of chapter material organized into two-column review charts.
- Summarizes the definitions and concepts for every section of the chapter, and refers students to illustrative examples (by example number and page number) of these key concepts.
- Relevant, diverse applications--Topics include cigarette consumption, passion and commitment in humans, and online spending trends.
- Peaks students' interest by showing them how important math is to their lives on a daily basis.
- Exceptionally clear and accessible presentation--Features voice balloons that allow for more specific annotations in examples.
- Further clarifies procedures and concepts for students.
- Well-Constructed Examples--No steps are omitted and each step is clearly explained.
- Provides students with detailed step-by-step solutions.
- Checkpoint Examples--Followed by a similar matched problem for students to work while reading the material.
- Actively involves students in the learning process.
- Titled Examples--All examples have titles.
- Enables students to immediately see the purpose of each example.
- Chapter-end Tests--Follows the comprehensive collection of chapter review exercises.
- Gives students the opportunity to see if they are prepared for an actual class test.
- Cumulative Review Exercises--At the end of each chapter.
- Provides students with the opportunity for continuous review.
Publisher: Prentice Hall, Inc.
Year Published: 2004