Summary: These authors have created a book to really help students visualize mathematics for better comprehension. By creating algebraic visual side-by-sides to solve various problems in the examples, the authors show students the relationship of the algebraic solution with the visual, often graphical, solution. In addition, the authors have added a variety of new tools to help students better use the book for maximum effectiveness to not only pass the course, but truly understa ...show morend the material.Edition/Copyright: 3RD 08
- Functions Early and Integrated: Functions are introduced right away in Chapter 1 to get students interested in a new topic. Equations and expressions are reviewed in the second chapter showing their connection to functions. This approach engages students from the start and gives them a taste of what they will learn in this course, instead of starting out with a review of concepts learned in previous courses.
- Algebraic Visual Side-by-Sides: Examples are worked out both algebraically and visually to increase student understanding of the concepts. Additionally, seeing these solutions side-by-side helps students make the connection between algebraic manipulation and the graphical interpretation.
- Zeros, Solutions, and x-Intercepts Theme: This theme allows students to reach a new level of mathematical comprehension through connecting the concepts of the real zeros of the function, the solutions of the associated equation, and the x-coordinates of the x-intercept of the graph of the function.
- Technology Connection: In each chapter, optional Technology Connections guide students in the use of the graphing calculator as another way to check problems.
- Review Icon: These notes reference an earlier, related section where a student can go to review a concept being used in the current section.
- Study Tips: These occasional, brief reminders appear in the margin and promote effective study habits such as good note taking and exam preparation.
- Connecting the Concepts: Comprehension is streamlined and retention is maximized when the student views a concept in a visual form, rather than a paragraph. Combining design and art, this feature highlights the importance of connecting concepts. Its visual aspect invites the student to stop and check that he or she has understood how the concepts within a section or several sections work together.
- Visualizing the Graph: This feature asks students to match an equation with its graph. This focus on visualization and conceptual understanding appears in every chapter to help students see ''the big picture.''
- Vocabulary Review: Appearing once per chapter in the Skill Maintenance portion of an exercise set, this feature checks and reviews students' understanding of the language of mathematics.
- Classify the Function: With a focus on conceptual understanding, students are asked to identify a number of functions by their type (i. e., linear, quadratic, rational, and so forth). As students progress through the text, the variety of functions they know increases and these exercises become more challenging. These exercises appear with the review exercises in the Skill Maintenance portion of an exercise set.
Publisher: Addison-Wesley Longman, Inc.
Other Editions of Algebra And Trigonometry: