Summary: This alternate version of ALGEBRA AND TRIGONOMETRY WITH ANALYTIC GEOMETRY (Classic Edition), Eleventh Edition is for IUPUI and Purdue Universities ONLY. Order this version if you are a qualifying customer. Other customers should order the standard version ALGEBRA AND TRIGONOMETRY WITH ANALYTIC GEOMETRY, Eleventh Edition, ISBN: 0-534-49449-8, by Earl W. Swokowski and Jeffery A. Cole. This latest edition in the highly respected Swokowski/Cole precalculus series retains ...show more the elements that have made it so popular with instructors and students alike: its exposition is clear, the time-tested exercise sets feature a variety of applications, its uncluttered layout is appealing, and the difficulty level of problems is appropriate and consistent. The goal of this text is to prepare students for further courses in mathematics. Mathematically sound, ALGEBRA AND TRIGONOMETRY WITH ANALYTIC GEOMETRY (CLASSIC EDITION), Eleventh Edition, effectively prepares students for further courses in mathematics through its excellent, time-tested problem sets.Edition/Copyright: 11TH 06
- NEW! Packaged free with each book, the Interactive Video Skillbuilder CD-ROM contains more than eight hours of video instruction, featuring a 10-question Web quiz per section (the results of which can be emailed to the instructor), a test for each chapter, with answers, and MathCue tutorial and quizzing software.
- Each exercise set begins with drill problems and then progresses to more challenging problems.
- Exercises involving graphical approximations to solutions have been given increased attention.
- Emphasis is placed on exercises in which students must produce and examine a table of values as an aid to solve a problem, and exercises in which students must interpret some aspect of a given table of values.
- Each chapter ends with several exercises that are suitable for small-group discussions. These exercises vary in difficulty; some are theoretical, while others are application-oriented.
- Topics such as the law of growth (or decay) formula and expected value are included. Closer attention has been paid to different quadratic function forms.
- The INSTRUCTOR'S and STUDENT SOLUTIONS MANUALS are authored by text co-author Jeffery A. Cole to ensure consistency with the main text.
- The QUICK REFERENCE CARD packaged with the text is a formula card for solving exercises. This perforated card, found in the back of the book, helps students master key formulas and minimizes the need for page turning. Because the card reduces time spent on tedious tasks, the student can focus on the central concepts and principles of the course.
- NEW! Discussion exercises have been added at the end of each chapter to promote further exploration of concepts and group-work.
- NEW! New figures help students visualize concepts and interpret data.
- NEW! Many new exercises have been added, including more exercises that ask students to understand the conceptual relationship of an equation and its graph, in response to reviewers' suggestions.
- NEW! The section on inverse functions now appears at the beginning of Chapter 5, rather than toward the end of Chapter 3. This moves the idea of the inverse function closer to its first use (with exponential and logarithmic functions).
- NEW! The section on Variation now appears at the end of Chapter 4. This allows variation to be introduced after rational functions have been discussed, and also allows inversely proportional variation problems to be discussed in terms of graphs.
- NEW! Chapters 3 through 5 have been slightly reorganized to be more uniform in length, making it easier for instructors to give chapter tests.
- Great care is taken to explain each concept and include step-by-step comments in the solutions of the examples. Many examples are accompanied by graphs, figures, charts, or tables to help students interpret graphical data.
- The text provides many topical examples showing how mathematical concepts have real-life applications. New applications relate to such diverse topics as the freezing level in a cloud, the number of handgun homicides, the cost of an advertisement during the Super Bowl, the number of Medicare recipients, and the effect of the ozone layer on skin cancer.
Publisher: Brooks/Cole Publishing Co.
Year Published: 2006
Other Editions of Algebra and Trigonometry with Analytic Geometry - With CD (Classic Edition):