Summary: Kaufmann and Schwitters have built this text's reputation on clear and concise exposition, numerous examples, and plentiful problem sets. This traditional text consistently reinforces the following common thread: learn a skill; use the skill to help solve equations; and then apply what you have learned to solve application problems. This simple, straightforward approach has helped many students grasp and apply fundamental problem solving skills necessary for future m ...show moreathematics courses in an easy-to-read format. Edition/Copyright: 8TH 07
The new Eighth Edition of ALGEBRA FOR COLLEGE STUDENTS includes new and updated problems, revised content based on reviewer feedback and a new function in iLrn. This enhanced iLrn homework functionality was designed specifically for Kaufmann/Schwitters' users. Textbook-specific practice problems have been added to iLrn to provide additional, algorithmically-generated practice problems, along with useful support and assistance to solve the problems for students.
New to the Edition
- Sections 7.1 and 7.2 have been reorganized, based on reviewer feedback. Section 7.1, Rectangular Coordinate System and Linear Equations, includes only linear equations in two variables. Section 7.2, Graphing Nonlinear Equations, emphasizes graphing nonlinear equations.
- Based on reviewer feedback, the traditional concept of "series" has been replaced with the more modern idea of "finding the sum of a number of terms of a sequence" within Chapter 14. Chapter 14 has been renamed "Sequences and Mathematical Induction."
- iLrn with HOMEWORK FUNCTIONALITY. Assigned by the instructor, the enhanced iLrn functionality provides direct tutorial assistance to students solving specific questions from the textbook's Problem Sets. This powerful program gives students the opportunity to try similar, algorithmically-generated problems, detailed tutorial help, the ability to solve the problem in steps, and helpful hints in solving the problem.
- Updated and new problems have been integrated into this edition.
- 40 HOURS/WEEK OF ONLINE TUTORING are available to your students with the purchase of a new textbook. Students can access the live online vMentor tutoring service through iLrn Tutorial which is packaged with their text.
- THOUGHTS INTO WORDS are included in every problem set except the review exercises. These problems are designed to give students an opportunity to express in written form their thoughts about various mathematical ideas.
- FURTHER INVESTIGATIONS are included in many of the problem sets. These problems offer more challenging exercises. They also provide the instructor with flexibility in incorporating advanced mathematical topics depending on specific course needs.
- CLEAR-CUT 3-STEP PROBLEM-SOLVING APPROACH. Kaufmann/Schwitters straightforward, 3-step problem-solving approach is introduced and reinforced throughout the textbook. The steps are: learn the algebraic skill; use the skill to help solve equations; apply the skill to solve the application problem.
- CUMULATIVE REVIEW PROBLEM SETS are included after Chapters 3, 5, 7, and 9. These help students remember skills that were introduced earlier.
- PROBLEM SETS have been constructed on an even-odd basis; all variations of skill-development exercises are contained in both the even and odd numbered problems.
- The Student Solutions Manual has been written by the text author, Karen Schwitters. This helps with continuity, and provides content that is consistent with the book.
- CHAPTER OPENING VIGNETTES. These favorite features set the key mathematical concept in the context of the real world.
Publisher: Brooks/Cole Publishing Co.
Other Editions of Algebra for College Students -With CD: