ISBN13:978-0521795401 ISBN10: 0521795400 This edition has also been released as: ISBN13: 978-0521791601 ISBN10: 052179160X
Summary: In most major universities one of the three or four basic first-year graduate mathematics courses is algebraic topology. This introductory text is suitable for use in a course on the subject or for self-study, featuring broad coverage and a readable exposition, with many examples and exercises. The four main chapters present the basics: fundamental group and covering spaces, homology and cohomology, higher homotopy groups, and homotopy theory generally. The author em
phasizes the geometric aspects of the subject, which helps students gain intuition. A unique feature is the inclusion of many optional topics not usually part of a first course due to time constraints: Bockstein and transfer homomorphisms, direct and inverse limits, H-spaces and Hopf algebras, the Brown representability theorem, the James reduced product, the Dold-Thom theorem, and Steenrod squares and powers.
Summary: In most major universities one of the three or four basic first-year graduate mathematics courses is algebraic topology. This introductory text is suitable for use in a course on the subject or for self-study, featuring broad coverage and a readable exposition, with many examples and exercises. The four main chapters present the basics: fundamental group and covering spaces, homology and cohomology, higher homotopy groups, and homotopy theory generally. The author emphasizes the geometric aspects of the subject, which helps students gain intuition. A unique feature is the inclusion of many optional topics not usually part of a first course due to time constraints: Bockstein and transfer homomorphisms, direct and inverse limits, H-spaces and Hopf algebras, the Brown representability theorem, the James reduced product, the Dold-Thom theorem, and Steenrod squares and powers. ...show less
Edition/Copyright:02 Cover: Paperback Publisher:Cambridge University Press Published: 12/03/2001 International: No
"Algebraic topoligy books that emphasize geometrical intuition usually have only a modest technical reach. Remarkably, Hatcher (Cornell Univ.) offers a highly geometrical treatment that neverheless matches the coverage of, e.g., Edwin Henry Spanier's very formidable and identically titled classic work... He promises two advanced companion volumes, one on spectral sequences, one on vector bundles. One anticipates the combined treatise doing for algebraic topology what Michael Spivak's magisterial five-volume set did for differential geometry."
Cambridge University Press Web Site, November, 2002
View Table of Contents
Part I. Some Underlying Geometric Notions
1. Homotopy and homotopy type 2. Deformation retractions 3. Homotopy of maps 4. Homotopy equivalent spaces 5. Contractible spaces 6. Cell complexes definitions and examples 7. Subcomplexes 8. Some basic constructions 9. Two criteria for homotopy equivalence 10. The homotopy extension property
Part II. Fundamental Group and Covering Spaces
11. The fundamental group, paths and homotopy 12. The fundamental group of the circle 13. Induced homomorphisms 14. Van Kampen's theorem of free products of groups 15. The van Kampen theorem 16. Applications to cell complexes 17. Covering spaces lifting properties 18. The classification of covering spaces 19. Deck transformations and group actions 20. Additional topics: graphs and free groups 21. K(G,1) spaces 22. Graphs of groups
Part III. Homology
23. Simplicial and singular homology delta-complexes 24. Simplicial homology 25. Singular homology 26. Homotopy invariance 27. Exact sequences and excision 28. The equivalence of simplicial and singular homology 29. Computations and applications degree 30. Cellular homology 31. Euler characteristic 32. Split exact sequences 33. Mayer-Vietoris sequences 34. Homology with coefficients 35. The formal viewpoint axioms for homology 36. Categories and functors 37. Additional topics homology and fundamental group 38. Classical applications 39. Simplicial approximation and the Lefschetz fixed point theorem
Part IV. Cohomology
40. Cohomology groups: the universal coefficient theorem 41. Cohomology of spaces 42. Cup product the cohomology ring 43. External cup product 44. Poincaré duality orientations 45. Cup product 46. Cup product and duality 47. Other forms of duality 48. Additional topics the universal coefficient theorem for homology 49. The Kunneth formula 50. H-spaces and Hopf algebras 51. The cohomology of SO(n) 52. Bockstein homomorphisms 53. Limits 54. More about ext 55. Transfer homomorphisms 56. Local coefficients
Part V. Homotopy Theory
57. Homotopy groups 58. The long exact sequence 59. Whitehead's theorem 60. The Hurewicz theorem 61. Eilenberg-MacLane spaces 62. Homotopy properties of CW complexes cellular approximation 63. Cellular models 64. Excision for homotopy groups 65. Stable homotopy groups 66. Fibrations the homotopy lifting property 67. Fiber bundles 68. Path fibrations and loopspaces 69. Postnikov towers 70. Obstruction theory 71. Additional topics: basepoints and homotopy 72. The Hopf invariant 73. Minimal cell structures 74. Cohomology of fiber bundles 75. Cohomology theories and omega-spectra 76. Spectra and homology theories 77. Eckmann-Hilton duality 78. Stable splittings of spaces 79. The loopspace of a suspension 80. Symmetric products and the Dold-Thom theorem 81. Steenrod squares and powers
Appendix: topology of cell complexes The compact-open topology.
Barnes & Noble.com Various Shipping Locations, USA
Brand new, ships from the closest shipping location to your shipping address!
$41.20 +$3.99 s/h
Bookbyte-OR Salem, OR
Has minor wear and/or markings. SKU:9780521795401-3-0
$43.25 +$3.99 s/h
Speedyhen Sunrise, FL
BRAND NEW. Orders dispatched typically within 2 business days via a TRACKABLE PRIORITY SERVICE. Delivery usually takes 2-4 working days.
$45.16 +$3.99 s/h
GreatBookPrices Batavia, IL
Brand New, Perfect Condition, Please allow 4-14 business days for delivery. 100% Money Back Guarantee, Over 1,000,000 customers served.
$45.23 +$3.99 s/h
PaperbackshopUS Secaucus, NJ
New Book. Shipped from US within 10 to 14 business days. Established seller since 2000.
$45.62 +$3.99 s/h
Textbookcenter.com Columbia, MO
Ships same day or next business day! UPS(AK/HI Priority Mail)/ NEW book
$46.70 +$3.99 s/h
indoo Avenel, NJ
$51.44 +$3.99 s/h
Firehouse Liquidation Vancouver, WA
Ships next business day! Brand New!
$60.68 +$3.99 s/h
BookHolders MD College Park, MD
first New [ No Hassle 30 Day Returns ] [ Edition: first ] Publisher: Cambridge University Press Pub Date: 11/15/2001 Binding: Paperback Pages: 550.
$61.00 +$3.99 s/h
MovieMars-Books Indian Trail, NC
"BRAND NEW. 30 Day Satisfaction Guarantee. Quick International Airmail!"
$70.99 +$3.99 s/h
Herb Tandree Philosophy Books Stroud, Glos,
2002 Paperback NEAR FINE 9780521795401 Paperback, 556pp., This listing is a new book, a title currently in-print which we order directly and immediately from the publisher. *****PLEASE NOTE: This i...show moretem is shipping from an authorized seller in Europe. In the event that a return is necessary, you will be able to return your item within the US. To learn more about our European sellers and policies see the BookQuest FAQ section***** ...show less
Free Shipping Get Free Shipping on orders over $25 (not including Rental and Marketplace). Order arrives in 5-10 business days.
Need it faster? We offer fast, flat-rate expedited shipping options.
Not the right book for you? We'll gladly take it back within 30 days.
To return an eTextbook:
Your eTextbook is non-returnable once it's been activated. You must contact us about returning your eTextbook before you activate it.
Returns are accepted within 30 days of the purchase date on your order confirmation.
This book qualifies for guaranteed cash back! Buy it now for , then:
Sell it back by:
Guaranteed cash back:
Cost of this book after cash back:
Take advantage of Guaranteed Cash Back. Send your book to us in good condition before the end of the buyback period, we'll send YOU a check, and you'll pay less for your textbooks!
If you find this book for less on Amazon.com (direct from Amazon, not marketplace sellers), we'll match it.
In our warehouse, waiting to ship directly to you.
We hand-inspect every used textbook to make sure it's in good condition.
Buy it now. Sell it later!
Sell this textbook for cash!
When you're done with this book, sell it back to Textbooks.com. In addition to the best possible buyback price, you'll get an extra 10% cash back just for being a customer.
We buy good-condition used textbooks year 'round, 24/7. No matter where you bought it, Textbooks.com will buy your textbooks for the most cash.
We hand-inspect every one of our used textbooks to ensure good condition.
Our used textbooks do NOT have:
Missing or torn pages
Missing or torn cover
Torn or damaged binding
A broken spine
This textbook has never been used.
Due to the size of eTextbooks, a high-speed internet connection (cable modem, DSL, LAN) is required for download stability and speed. Your connection can be wired or wireless.
Being online is not required for reading an eTextbook after successfully downloading it. You must only be connected to the Internet duringthe download process.
XP or Windows 7 (32 or 64 running in 32 bit mode), or Mac OS 10.6 or above
At least 512 MB RAM, 600 mHZ processor, and 40 MB of hard drive space (75MB for Mac OS)
What is the Marketplace? It's another way for you to get the right price on the books you need. We approved every Marketplace vendor to sell their books on Textbooks.com, so you know they're all reliable.
What are Marketplace shipping options? Marketplace items do not qualify for free shipping. When ordering from the Marketplace, please specify whether you want the seller to send your book Standard ($3.99/item) or Express ($6.99/item). To get free shipping over $25, just order directly from Textbooks.com instead of through the Marketplace.
FREE UPS 2nd Day Air Terms
Rental and Marketplace items are excluded. Offer is valid from 1/21/2013 12:00PM to 1/23/2013 11:59AM CST. Your order must be placed by 12 Noon CST to be processed on the same day. Minimum order value is $100.00 excluding Rental and Marketplace items. To redeem this offer, select "FREE UPS 2ND DAY AIR" at checkout. Offer not is not valid on previous orders.