Allerlei zum Lesen, an intermediate-level reader, contains 18 unedited short stories selected for readability and interest. The stories represent classical and contemporary authors from Germany, Austria, and Switzerland. By reading and discussing these stories, students build conversation skills while gaining exposure to the cultural, historical, and linguistic diversity of the German-speaking world.
- Revised! In addition to classic German short stories, updated readings--brief in length to allow students to read each story several times--include selections from literary journals and the Internet. Many of the readings are written by new or unpublished authors.
- New! A revised art program enhances learning by using visual images as advanced organizers. These organizers consist of three illustrations and several questions designed to preview content, clarify cultural settings, and trigger discussion while aiding student comprehension and stimulating interest.
- New! A variety of exercises--including crossword puzzles, word searches, and contextualized fill-in-the-blanks--provide venues for learning new vocabulary.
- New! The Zum Hören listening section features recordings by native German speakers designed to improve listening comprehension. All recordings are now available on the student web site.
- Expanded pre-reading activities include background information on each author, an active vocabulary list followed by exercises, and an activity designed to enhance students' skimming and scanning skills.
- New! Rollenspiele, a post-reading activity, encourages students to discuss the reading while expressing ideas and vocabulary presented in the selection. These activities reinforce reading comprehension by inviting students to relate their own experiences to the text, providing questions for interpretation and discussion, and guiding students through a writing activity.
- New! All spelling follows the latest German Spelling Reform (Duden).
- A list of principal parts of strong and irregular verbs and a comprehensive German-English vocabulary appear at the back of the text.
- New! Companion web sites feature selections recorded by native speakers of German that correspond to the listening section in the textbook.