This edition has also been released as:
ISBN13: 978-0321002938, 978-0321002945
ISBN10: 0321002938, 0321002946
Summary: With its careful balance of the social and political dimensions of American history, America Past and Present, Fifth Edition helps students grasp the scope and the complexity of the American past. Written by a distinguished author team- Robert A. Divine, T.H Breen, George M. Frederickson, Hal L. Williams- America Past and Present, Fifth Edition presents a lively narrative, clear organization, exceptional pedagogy, and special features that bring history to life for in ...show moretroductory students. Features Edition/Copyright: 5TH 99
- New! Ten Special Feature essays; four focus on communications revolution, four emphasize religion/spiritualism throughout history. Two new essays: Madame C J Walker (a black woman and first self-made woman millionaire), and US prisoners of war who defected to Korea after Korean War.
- New! A Law and Society essay details case on Quok Walker, an African who challenged constitutionality of slavery in revolutionary Massachusetts.
- New! Illustrious photo program includes examples of artifacts that present students with a material record of America's past.
- New! Material on slave families, such as the effects of Civil War on slave families, women in the North vs. women in the South, and the militia movement of the 1990's.
- New! Chapters. 28-33 reorganized to present stricter chronological presentation. Chapter 28 covers beginning of Cold War, and Chapters. 29-30 cover events, topics, and issues of each decade from the 1950's through the 1990's.
- New! Exciting new ancillaries added to supplements program, including new text-specific Web site, new Instructor's Guide to Teaching American History, the Longman American History Atlas and Divine's Presentation Maker PowerPoint slides.
- Strong scholarship supported by four first-rate historians well-known as active publishers and good teachers.
- Well-integrated balance of political, diplomatic, social, cultural, and economic history into one rich chronological narrative.
- Law and Society essays offer detailed discussions of significant, provocative legal cases in US history; by examining impact of these cases on US society, students explore relevance to everyday life.
Publisher: Longman, Inc.