This edition has also been released as:
Summary: Now in its Fifth Edition, America and Its Peoples presents American history filled with the drama and conflict that holds the attention of all students. Edition/Copyright: 5TH 04
Social history--with an emphasis on sports, leisure, and popular culture--is effectively integrated with more traditional coverage of military history, politics, and diplomacy. This edition highlights the rich ethnic diversity of the American people with vivid character sketches, colorful anecdotes, primar ...show morey sources, new pedagogy, and a spirited narrative.
New To This Edition
- "The People Speak." This feature integrates primary source excerpts into every chapter. These concise documents include a brief headnote that identifies and contextualizes the piece. The documents have been chosen to highlight the book's emphasis on diversity, multiculturalism, and social history.
- Critical Thinking Review Questions. Chapter-ending questions focus on major ideas and broad themes, rather than on incidents or individuals, inviting students to reflect on and think critically about the material covered in the chapter. The questions can be used to initiate class discussion, as a focus for student papers, or as essay exam questions.
- "American Mosaic" essays. These essays, which appear in each chapter, examine a topic related to the chapter themes that emphasizes the diversity of American society.
- "Road to War" tables provide concise, chronological summaries of key events that contributed to the outbreak of war.
- "Battlefield Picture Maps" and accompanying essays offer detailed visual representations and narrative discussion of combat scenarios. Each Picture Map provides students with a geographic representation of a specific battle while the essay provides detailed description and analysis, allowing students to gain a deeper understanding of critical wartime events.
- New final chapter, 32, covers events of the 1990s and the beginning of the 21st Century, as well as increasing globalization of the American economy, U.S. involvement in international post-Cold War events of the 1990s and 2000s, and tension between protecting civil liberties and providing for national security in contemporary U.S. society.
- Chapter-ending summaries annotate key events covered in the chapter for student review.
- Key terms--more in each chapter--highlight the most important terms and concepts from the chapter.
- "People You Should Know" notes key individuals in the chapter ending material, and is page referenced to the chapter's principal discussion of each person.
- New annotated Web links are included in chapter-ending pedagogy with 4 to 6 relevant, high-interest web links that students can explore for further study and research. These web links differ from those in The History Place and the Companion Website.
Publisher: Longman, Inc.
Year Published: 2004