Summary: Part of Longman's "Literature for College Readers" series, American 24-Karat Gold is a collection of American short stories for the developmental readers.Edition/Copyright: 2ND 06
The text includes classic American writers (e.g., Mark Twain, O. Henry, Kate Chopin) along with diverse modern writers (e.g., Maxine Hong Kingston, Migene Gonzalez-Wippler, and Alice Walker.)
The text begins with a sample lesson designed with the developmental learner in mind-introduci ...show moreng reading skills, note-taking, and literary terms. Following the sample lesson, the stories are arranged by literary elements: character, conflict, plot, irony, etc. Each story contains pre-reading vocabulary exercises and questions, headnotes, a journal entry worksheet, comprehension quizzes, and writing prompts.
- Collection of American short stories includes the classic (Mark Twain, O. Henry, Kate Chopin) along with the diverse modern writers (Maxine Hong Kingston, Roberta Fernandez, and Anita Endrezza).
- Alternate Contents arranged by theme and chronology are offered for flexibility.
- Sample Lessonintroduces reading skills, note-taking skills, and commonly used literary terms based on Kate Chopin's Ripe Figs to illustrate book's pedagogy.
- Pre-Reading Vocabulary Exercises allow students to use word attack skills to define and learn words necessary for understanding the story.
- Pre-Reading Questionsset up purpose of story and make it more accessible to the reader.
- Biographical Headnotes provide context for reader.
- Journal Entry Worksheet after each story encourages student to participate in the story by developing an MLA Works Cited entry, separating main from supporting characters, identifying setting, sequencing and summarizing events, identifying conflicts, and more.
- Significant quotations for explanation follow each story and test for comprehension.
- Comprehension Quizzes (3 per story) test students, understanding through multiple choice, short answer, and essay questions.
- Writing Prompts for further writing assign both personal and research writing.
- Glossary of Literary Terms is included for quick reference.
Publisher: Longman, Inc.