Summary: THE AMERICAN BUREACRACY is well known and widely respected for presenting a fair, balanced, and concise treatment of the U.S. Bureaucracy. Its never-cynical approach to the history, trends, and future of the American Bureaucracy has won it very high regard. Thorough attention is given to the study of how the government works to provide a multitude of services and protection to the American people, and current literature, charts, and data are incorporated and synthesi ...show morezed into the text.Edition/Copyright: 3RD 04
- Discusses bureaucracy using the systems approach, an effective way of viewing the whole of public bureaucracy as well as the parts and how they interact.
- Gives students a contemporary, in-depth look at the vast network of public agencies, nonprofit organizations, and private businesses that make up all levels of public bureaucracy.
- Provides a comprehensive yet concise historical and political overview of bureaucracy at the Federal, state, and local levels.
- Examines the myths and realities of bureaucracy descriptively and analytically, without any pleading for a specific reformist view.
- Offers a Unique chapter on the Future of the American Bureaucratic System.Incorporates a powerful Pedagogical Program, offering review questions, key terms, and further readings, into each chapter.
- NEW! Post-September 11 updates have been incorporated to address recent events and the effect on the bureaucratic system.
- NEW! Additional study aids have been added to the end of each chapter, including Web links and new pedagogical tools.
- NEW! Chapter 6 is entirely devoted to the "Feedback Loop," the critical measure of how effectively bureaucracies operate by shaping their priorities and directions.
- Incorporates a powerful Pedagogical Program, offering review questions, key terms, and further readings, into each chapter.
Publisher: Wadsworth, Inc