This edition has also been released as:
ISBN13: 978-0534595173, 978-0534595227
ISBN10: 0534595170, 0534595227
Summary: Todd R. Clear, one of the country's leading experts in the study of corrections, and George F. Cole, considered by many as the "founding father" of modern criminal justice study, have combined talents once again for the new Sixth Edition of their market-leading AMERICAN CORRECTIONS. A great author team, Clear's expertise in corrections complements Cole's organizational view of the system. Together, they present a well-rounded, balanced approach to correctio ...show morens. Clear and Cole takes a sociological and humanistic approach to corrections. It treats institutional and alternative sanctions in a balanced fashion and offers a look at the system from the perspective of both the corrections worker and the offender. It also presents the concept of corrections as a "system" of interconnected organizations and carries this theme throughout the book. While this approach appeals to both sociologists and criminal justice types alike, it is particularly appealing to a growing portion of the market: the professors with sociological backgrounds who are now teaching the introduction to corrections course. From a more practical standpoint, many find this text appealing because it provides comprehensive, thorough coverage without being overwhelming. At 22 chapters and 560 pages, it is very compatible with standard, semester-long courses. Such effective compatibility continues in the Sixth Edition with a new visually engaging four-color interior design.Edition/Copyright: 6TH 03
- NEW! Wadsworth and Picture Projects have teamed together to provide an expanded array of criminal justice resources for Clear and Cole's robust, book-specific Web site. This interactive Web site is linked to and accessed from a FREE CD-ROM accompanying every new text). The Web site includes: an interactive flow chart of the criminal justice system, theory quizzes, stories and audiotaped interviews, and an activity engaging students to construct their own graph to better understand race, violence, and gender as they relate to incarceration.
- Weaving the theme of corrections as a system of large and small, interconnected organizations throughout the text, Clear and Cole provide students with a solid understanding of how each component fits into the overall system.
- Distinctive chapter pedagogy includes features such as: "Work Perspectives" (profiles of correctional practitioners and offenders), "Focus" (in-depth accounts of journalists, prisoners, etc that provide current, real-life examples of correctional practices), "Do the Right Thing" (narratives of real dilemmas that confront correctional practitioners with questions that foster critical thinking), and "Comparative Perspectives" (articles that provide insight into corrections in other countries).
- NEW! The CD-ROM features audiotaped interviews with inmates, corrections professionals, and others connected with the corrections process so your students can experience corrections issues on a humanistic level.
- NEW! Fostering students' research and critical thinking skills, the text features integrated online exercises using InfoTrac College Edition and the Internet and marginal Web site boxes with references to thought-provoking Web sites.
- NEW! Hot new topics in this edition include: the death penalty moratorium in Illinois and other states, the corrections-commercial complex, the economic impact of prisons on the community, DNA and erroneous convictions, community and offender surveillance, the impact of felony disenfranchisement laws, race and corrections, prison gangs, the needs of elderly offenders, probation strategies in dealing with youth, and the program needs of female offenders.
- NEW! Marginal biographical boxes covering historical figures in corrections are located throughout the chapters.
- NEW! A new, dynamic four-color interior design has replaced the previous edition's two-color interior design.
- NEW! Clear and Cole have continued their unparalleled coverage of research in corrections with hundreds of new references to current topics added throughout the text.
- NEW! Many new figures and tables have been added, as well as a list of key terms at the end of each chapter.
- Clear and Cole continue their tradition of well-balanced discussions that are informed by history, law, psychology, sociology, and public policy, with comprehensive, interdisciplinary discussion on all aspects of the U.S. corrections system and a focus on the humanistic aspects of the system.
Publisher: Wadsworth, Inc
Year Published: 2003
Other Editions of American Corrections / With CD: