Summary: The American Horticultural Society Encyclopedia of Gardening is the one and only practical guide you'll ever need. The comprehensive, authoritative, and up-to-date text - supported by 3,000 specially commissioned color photographs - guides you expertly through the entire range of gardening techniques.Edition/Copyright: 93
> opens with a detailed chapter on garden planning and design. Other chapters focus on the main plant groups, including trees, shrubs, and perennials, as well as special areas such as the fruit garden and the indoor garden. Each chapter presents detailed, in-depth coverage of soil preparation, planting, routine care, pruning, and propagation with step-by-step photographs and artwork. Important plant groups, such as hostas, daylilies, and peonies, are highlighted. The second section of the book, Maintaining the Garden, covers tools and materials as well as soil and climate in different regions of the United States. Construction projects such as putting up fencing and building a pergola, are covered with easy-to-follow photographic sequences. A gallery of pests and diseases aid quick identification and control. Key Features:
- The first section of the book, Creating the Garden, ...show more
- The most comprehensive, practical gardening guide for amateur and professional gardeners alike.
- Over 3,000 specially commissioned color photographs, including 400 step-by-step sequences, more than any other single guide on gardening
- Under the eminent editorship of Christopher Brickell, Director General of the Royal Horticultural Society, a team of over 35 professional gardening specialists has produced the most authoritative, up-to-date, and easy-to-follow text, the ultimate gardening reference
- Shows you how to plan and implement techniques with complete confidence, from transplanting a young tree, to challenging tasks such as hybridizing a rose
- Systematic organization of chapters ensures easy access and swift cross-referencing on every aspect of gardening
- Includes a complete common-name index for easy checking with botanical names, and a glossary giving simple-to-understand definitions of technical and scientific terms
Publisher: Dorling Kindersley Publishing Inc.
Year Published: 1993