This edition has also been released as:
Summary: As part of the Penguin Academics series, American Literature offers a wide range of selections with minimal editorial apparatus at an affordable price.Edition/Copyright: 04
Longman is proud to announce the Penguin Academics Series Edition of American Literature. The Penguin Academics Series, in the tradition of Penguin Publishers, offers highly respected, highly affordable, trade-format books by preeminent scholars.
American Literature emphasizes its range of selecti ...show moreons and minimal apparatus, challenging the existing books on the market by offering a briefer and less expensive book. Rather than including dry academic period overviews, American Literature uses a "Letter to the Reader" format to give students the contextual information they need for each major historical period. Through a packaging relationship with Penguin Classics, we can offer larger works without increasing the page count.
- Compact! The anthology focuses mainly on selections with very little apparatus.
- Affordable! In keeping with the Penguin Academics Series, Longman is committed to keeping the cost well under that of traditional American literature anthologies.
- Humanizing introductions. Written as "Letters to the Reader," these introductions offer students an accessible discussion of how to approach study of American literature as well as historical and contextual background.
- Rich spectrum of selections. The table of contents includes the best from the canon as well as from newer and lesser-heard voices including Native American and African American writers.
- Well-informed headnotes. These compelling portraits give students insights into each writer represented.
- Esteemed author. Bill Cain is a highly regarded scholar of American literature.
- Coming in February 2004.
Publisher: Longman, Inc.
Year Published: 2004