Summary: Supported by colorful anecdotes, first-person quotations, and its trademark wit, The American Pageant is one of the most readable, popular, and effective American history textbooks available. The text's original author, Thomas Bailey, first created the text's distinctive character, which has been preserved by current co-authors David Kennedy and Lizabeth Cohen.Edition/Copyright: 12TH 02
Pedagogy includes chapter-ending chronologies, numerous interesting quotes from historical figure ...show mores, and incisive part openers that contextualize six major periods in American history. The Appendix includes "Suggested Readings" for every chapter, an annotated Constitution of the United States with page references, and an extensive statistical profile of the United States.
- New! The "Examining the Evidence" feature introduces students to the analysis of primary sources by presenting a photograph, artifact, or brief document and prompting students to examine the materials and draw their own conclusions.
- New! The authors have combined Chapters 13 and 14 and Chapters 24 and 28 from the previous edition, reducing the total number of chapters to 42. The reorganization provides tighter chronology and thematic re-working of material on the antebellum and Gilded Age/Progressive Era periods.
- New! The new edition contains increased coverage of immigration, women's political participation, the environmental movement, American Indians, and western history. Throughout the text, social trends and events are more thoroughly integrated into the political narrative.
- "Varying Viewpoints" features examine the scholarly debates surrounding major historical issues, encouraging students to think critically about ways historians disagree.
- "Makers of America" essays focus on the diverse ethnic, racial, and activist groups that compose America's pluralistic society. They have been revised to include topics such as the New Wave feminists and environmentalists.
Cover: Other Format
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Other Editions of American Pageant : A History of the Republic, Volume I - Text Only: