ISBN13:978-0618479276 ISBN10: 0618479279 This edition has also been released as: ISBN13: 978-0618574308 ISBN10: 0618574301
Summary: The American Pageant continues to enjoy a reputation as one of the most popular and effective textbooks in the field of American history. The text's colorful anecdotes, first-person quotations, and trademark wit bring American history to life. Revisions have been guided by the inclusion of the histories of previously overlooked individuals or groups, as well as the belief that the main drama of American history resides in the public arena, where these and other peopl...show morees have both cooperated and contended with one another.
The Thirteenth Edition places greater emphasis on the global context for American history and provides expanded coverage of cultural innovation and intellectual ideas. Additionally, the new edition retains the pedagogical features that make The American Pageant accessible for students: part openers and chapter-ending chronologies provide a context for the major periods in American history, while other features present primary sources, scholarly debates, and key historical figures for analysis.
New! Chapter 27, "Empire and Expansion, 1890-1909," has been reworked to combine material from chapters 27 and 28 of the previous edition.
New! Chapter 40, "The Resurgence of Conservatism, 1980-1992," now concludes with the 1992 presidential election, presenting this period in a more cohesive way.
New! Chapter 41, "America Confronts the Post-Cold War Era, 1992-2004," details George W. Bush's presidency, terrorism, the War in Iraq, and the 2004 presidential election. It has been reworked specifically to place recent events in a historical perspective.
Expanded! Post-World War II era coverage has been expanded from six to seven chapters.
Expanded! More attention has been given to the experiences and contributions of women, law, and the national economy in the antebellum period; the rise of colleges and universities; American involvement in Asia; and specific events such as the Seven Year's War, the election of 1800, the Compromise of 1850, the Spanish-American War, and the Cold War.
Expanded! The authors have added more "Examining the Evidence" features, which present photographs, artifacts, or brief documents, and demonstrate how historians analyze such evidence. Landscapes of the Old Northwest, Public Opinion Polling in the 1930s, The Shopping Mall as New Town Square, and 1960 are among the new offerings.
New! The new edition presents Johnny Reb and Billy Yank, The Early Pragmatists, and Scientists and Engineers as its new "Makers of America." These essays focus on the diverse ethnic, racial, and activist groups that compose America's pluralistic society.
I. Founding the New Nation, c. 33,000 B.C.-A.D. 1783
1. New World Beginnings, 33,000 B.C.-A.D. 1769 2. The Planting of English America, 1500-1733 3. Settling the Northern Colonies, 1619-1700 4. American Life in the Seventeenth Century, 1607-1692 5. Colonial Society on the Eve of Revolution, 1700-1775 6. The Duel for North America, 1608-1763 7. The Road to Revolution, 1763-1775 8. America Secedes from the Empire, 1775-1783
II. Building the New Nation, 1776-1860
9. The Confederation and the Constitution, 1776-1790 10. Launching the New Ship of State, 1789-1800 11. The Triumphs and Travails of the Jeffersonian Republic, 1800-1812 12. The Second War for Independence and the Upsurge of Nationalism, 1812-1824 13. The Rise of a Mass Democracy, 1824-1840 14. Forging the National Economy, 1790-1860 15. The Ferment of Reform and Culture, 1790-1860
III. Testing the New Nation, 1820-1877
16. The South and the Slavery Controversy, 1793-1860 17. Manifest Destiny and Its Legacy, 1841-1848 18. Renewing the Sectional Struggle, 1848-1854 19. Drifting Toward Disunion, 1854-1861 20. Girding for War: The North and the South, 1861-1865 21. The Furnace of Civil War, 1861-1865 22. The Ordeal of Reconstruction, 1865-1877
IV. Forging an Industrial Society, 1865-1909
23. Political Paralysis in the Gilded Age, 1869-1896 24. Industry Comes of Age, 1865-1900 25. America Moves to the City, 1865-1900 26. The Great West and the Agricultural Revolution, 1865-1896 27. Empire and Expansion, 1890-1909
V. Struggling for Justice at Home and Abroad, 1899-1945
28. Progressivism and the Republican Roosevelt, 1901-1912 29. Wilsonian Progressivism at Home and Abroad, 1912-1916 30. The War to End War, 1917-1918 31. American Life in the "Roaring Twenties," 1919-1929 32. The Politics of Boom and Bust, 1920-1932 33. The Great Depression and the New Deal, 1933-1939 34. Franklin D. Roosevelt and the Shadow of War, 1933-1941 35. America in World War II, 1941-1945
VI. Making Modern America, 1945-Present
36. The Cold War Begins, 1945-1952 37. The Eisenhower Era, 1952-1960 38. The Stormy Sixties, 1960-1968 39. The Stalemated Seventies, 1968-1980 40. The Resurgence of Conservatism, 1980-1992 41. America Confronts the Post-Cold War Era, 1992-2004 42. The American People Face a New Century
Multiple Copies Available! Houghton Mifflin: The American Pageant - A History of the Republic, Student 13th Edition [Hardcover]. Copyright-2006, ISBN:0618479279. These books are in GOOD/SOLID condi...show moretion with the interior page and binding blocks fully intact, and only MODERATE wear to the exterior covers! We ship daily, Mon-Sat. ...show less
$86.99 +$3.99 s/h
SUPER BOOKS Fort Mill, SC
Buy with Confidence. Excellent Customer Support. We ship from multiple US locations. No CD, DVD or Access Code Included.
$90.27 +$3.99 s/h
Books Revisited Chatham, NJ
Possible retired library copy, some have markings or writing. May or may not include accessories such as CD or access codes.
Free Shipping Get Free Shipping on orders over $25 (not including Rental and Marketplace). Order arrives in 5-10 business days.
Need it faster? We offer fast, flat-rate expedited shipping options.
Not the right book for you? We'll gladly take it back within 30 days.
To return an eTextbook:
Your eTextbook is non-returnable once it's been activated. You must contact us about returning your eTextbook before you activate it.
Returns are accepted within 30 days of the purchase date on your order confirmation.
This book qualifies for guaranteed cash back! Buy it now for , then:
Sell it back by:
Guaranteed cash back:
Cost of this book after cash back:
Take advantage of Guaranteed Cash Back. Send your book to us in good condition before the end of the buyback period, we'll send YOU a check, and you'll pay less for your textbooks!
If you find this book for less on Amazon.com (direct from Amazon, not marketplace sellers), we'll match it.
In our warehouse, waiting to ship directly to you.
We hand-inspect every used textbook to make sure it's in good condition.
Buy it now. Sell it later!
Sell this textbook for cash!
When you're done with this book, sell it back to Textbooks.com. In addition to the best possible buyback price, you'll get an extra 10% cash back just for being a customer.
We buy good-condition used textbooks year 'round, 24/7. No matter where you bought it, Textbooks.com will buy your textbooks for the most cash.
We hand-inspect every one of our used textbooks to ensure good condition.
Our used textbooks do NOT have:
Missing or torn pages
Missing or torn cover
Torn or damaged binding
A broken spine
This textbook has never been used.
Due to the size of eTextbooks, a high-speed internet connection (cable modem, DSL, LAN) is required for download stability and speed. Your connection can be wired or wireless.
Being online is not required for reading an eTextbook after successfully downloading it. You must only be connected to the Internet duringthe download process.
XP or Windows 7 (32 or 64 running in 32 bit mode), or Mac OS 10.6 or above
At least 512 MB RAM, 600 mHZ processor, and 40 MB of hard drive space (75MB for Mac OS)
What is the Marketplace? It's another way for you to get the right price on the books you need. We approved every Marketplace vendor to sell their books on Textbooks.com, so you know they're all reliable.
What are Marketplace shipping options? Marketplace items do not qualify for free shipping. When ordering from the Marketplace, please specify whether you want the seller to send your book Standard ($3.99/item) or Express ($6.99/item). To get free shipping over $25, just order directly from Textbooks.com instead of through the Marketplace.
FREE UPS 2nd Day Air Terms
Rental and Marketplace items are excluded. Offer is valid from 1/21/2013 12:00PM to 1/23/2013 11:59AM CST. Your order must be placed by 12 Noon CST to be processed on the same day. Minimum order value is $100.00 excluding Rental and Marketplace items. To redeem this offer, select "FREE UPS 2ND DAY AIR" at checkout. Offer not is not valid on previous orders.