Summary: The American Pageant continues to enjoy a reputation as one of the most popular and effective textbooks in the field of American history. The text's colorful anecdotes, first-person quotations, and trademark wit bring American history to life. Revisions have been guided by the inclusion of the histories of previously overlooked individuals or groups, as well as the belief that the main drama of American history resides in the public arena, where these and other peopl ...show morees have both cooperated and contended with one another.Edition/Copyright: 13TH 06
The Thirteenth Edition places greater emphasis on the global context for American history and provides expanded coverage of cultural innovation and intellectual ideas. Additionally, the new edition retains the pedagogical features that make The American Pageant accessible for students: part openers and chapter-ending chronologies provide a context for the major periods in American history, while other features present primary sources, scholarly debates, and key historical figures for analysis.
- New! Chapter 27, "Empire and Expansion, 1890-1909," has been reworked to combine material from chapters 27 and 28 of the previous edition.
- New! Chapter 40, "The Resurgence of Conservatism, 1980-1992," now concludes with the 1992 presidential election, presenting this period in a more cohesive way.
- New! Chapter 41, "America Confronts the Post-Cold War Era, 1992-2004," details George W. Bush's presidency, terrorism, the War in Iraq, and the 2004 presidential election. It has been reworked specifically to place recent events in a historical perspective.
- Expanded! Post-World War II era coverage has been expanded from six to seven chapters.
- Expanded! More attention has been given to the experiences and contributions of women, law, and the national economy in the antebellum period; the rise of colleges and universities; American involvement in Asia; and specific events such as the Seven Year's War, the election of 1800, the Compromise of 1850, the Spanish-American War, and the Cold War.
- Expanded! The authors have added more "Examining the Evidence" features, which present photographs, artifacts, or brief documents, and demonstrate how historians analyze such evidence. Landscapes of the Old Northwest, Public Opinion Polling in the 1930s, The Shopping Mall as New Town Square, and 1960 are among the new offerings.
- New! The new edition presents Johnny Reb and Billy Yank, The Early Pragmatists, and Scientists and Engineers as its new "Makers of America." These essays focus on the diverse ethnic, racial, and activist groups that compose America's pluralistic society.
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Year Published: 2006
Other Editions of American Pageant, Volume I: