Summary: For courses in American Sport History and History of Sport. Edition/Copyright: 5TH 04
Completely updated and revised, this text sets sports in a social-cultural historical context. The Fifth Edition of this highly-acclaimed text offers a reflective, analytical history of American sports from the colonial era to the present. With a focus on the historical relationship between sports, and gender, class, race, ethnicity, religion, and region, this text considers how sports transcend t ...show morehese fundamental categories, and how the experience of sports either as a player or as a fan can bind diverse groups together. This text also looks at how sports at various historical moments have reinforced or challenged the values and behaviors of society.
- NEW--Revamped and additional material in each chapter with particular attention paid to women's sports.
- Ensures a balanced and contemporary presentation that students can relate to.
- NEW--A total revision of Chapter 11 on The Intercollegiate Football Spectacle.
- Discusses current issues such as continuing controversies, brutality, and the formation of conferences, so that students can possess a well-rounded and timely view of the topic.
- NEW--A greater emphasis in Chapter 7 on the role of sports in the forging of an American upper class.
- Helps students understand and analyze the societal affects of sports in our culture.
- NEW--New sections on the new middle class, consumer culture, and the quest for excitement (Chapter 8); female cheerleading (Chapter 13); and the new individualism and sports (Chapter 14).
- Examines the influence of sports within gender, class structure, culture, and the individual, illustrating for students how sports can affect various areas of their own lives.
- NEW--A complete updating of chapters 14 through 21.
- Offers students a more accessible and topical approach to the subject matter.
- Explores the connection between modern sports and society, including the influence of television on recent sport history.
- Gives students tangible examples of how sports affects our culture so they can thoroughly and accurately analyze the relationship between sports and society.
- Contains a vivid analysis of sports in the colonial era.
- Provides students with the historical framework so they can understand the growth of sports in society.
- Includes chapter summaries, illustrations, graphs, tables, and updated bibliographical information.
- Furnishes students with a host of supplemental study aids so they can better absorb core material.
Publisher: Prentice Hall, Inc.
Year Published: 2004