Summary: Through clear, accessible writing and the strongest research base and documentation available, this edition offers a positive, teacher-centered view of the profession. Edition/Copyright: 5TH 06
America's Teachers: An Introduction to Education, Fifth Edition accurately reflects how teachers themselves feel about their work. With critical and informative material on teaching as an occupation, the foundations of education, and emerging issues affecting today's classrooms, this tex ...show moretbook provides prospective teachers with a realistic look at teaching.
New To This Edition
- Candid, detailed analysisof No Child Left Behind and other sweeping reforms dissects the latest movements in public education.
- Full chapters on the history, philosophy, sociology, and politics of education emphasize the effects of increasing cultural diversity.
- Extensive coverage of ''Critical Issues for the 2000s'' introduces prospective teachers to contemporary topics such as educational choice, competition between public and private schools, and the effects of standards, assessments, and accountability on the curriculum.
- Thorough notes, suggested readings, and Internet blocks in every chapter make the text an excellent research resource for future teachers.
- With a stronger emphasis on cultural diversity in every chapter and particularly in Chapter 8, this edition highlights the four student ''subgroups'' that NCLB singles out--poor, minority, English language learner, and disabled--and analyzes the most current perspectives on race, ethnicity, poverty, and gender.
- Chapters 2, 7, 8, and 11 offer prospective teachers a detailed look at standards, assessments, and accountability, exploring how measurement-driven state reforms mandated by NCLB may be fundamentally altering teaching and learning.
- Chapters 1 and 3 survey the changing status of reform in teacher education, explaining developments such as the highly qualified teacher provisions of No Child Left Behind and the drive to reform teacher education from the inside.
- Updated with the latest information on federal, state, and local politics, Chapter 9 provides a political context for the textbook.
- Information and analysis of technology is integrated throughout the book, giving prospective teachers insight into how technology is changing teaching.
Publisher: Allyn & Bacon, Inc.