Summary: This text, now available in FULL COLOR, presents developmental biology as an ongoing process of enquiry, giving students a sense of the ways developmental biologists gain knowledge and a taste of the challenges ahead. The first part of the text focuses on the classical methods of analysis and the stages of embryonic development from gametogenesis to histogenesis. Part Two introduces the genetic and molecular analysis of development. The final part combines classical ...show moreand modern types of analysis towards the investigation of long standing problems in development. Key experiments are described throughout to reinforce the relationship between scientific models and experimental data.
- New chapter on the evolutionary theory of senescence and some of its proximate causes
- Complete updating of the research and discoveries in this fast-paced field
- Cell adhesion and extracellular matrix chapters combined and moved to Part One where they fit more naturally with gastrulation and organogenesis
- New Critical Thinking Questions follow the discussion of key experiments and test the students' understanding of the analytical process
- A robust new website with jpeg files for all line art and tables, access to movies and animations of interest to the developmental biologist, content updates, and exam questions.
--Readable, concise and modern.
--An emphasis on Principles, the major developmental mechanisms (12 integrated in text ); Strategies, the fundamental experimental procedures used in developmental biology (7 integrated in text); and Methods, the labaratory tools most commonly used in developmental biology (11 Methods Boxes). The emphasis on recurring Principles, Stategies and Methods provides a sense of continuity and structure for the student faced with a plethora of new details and results.
31 more offers below.