This edition has also been released as:
Summary: Best-selling authors Raymond Barnett, Michael Ziegler, and Karl Byleen wrote this accurate, time-tested book for students to enjoy reading. Their use of numerous applications from a variety of fields convinces even the most skeptical students that trigonometry is truly useful. To gain students' interest quickly, the text moves directly into trigonometric concepts and applications, and reviews essential material from prerequisite courses only as needed.
...show more'padding:0px;padding-left:10px;margin:0px;'> ...show lessEdition/Copyright: 7TH 99
- Unusual and interesting exercises from many different fields provide variety and relevance. Both application-oriented exercises as well as standard drill are included.
- Coverage begins with a right triangle approach . The authors cover the basics of right triangle applications, properties of circular trigonometric functions, elementary trigonometric identities, and the law of sines and cosines.
- The authors organize material in a natural manner, focusing first on classical applications of trigonometric ratios, then upon the more sophisticated concept of these ratios as functions.
- Color is used functionally to clarify figures and identify important definitions, theorems, processes, and comments. Many competitors are two color.
- Graphing calculators enhance learning where appropriate, although they are not required. Problems for graphing calculators are clearly identified by a calculator icon and can be omitted without loss of continuity. The interplay of numeric, symbolic, graphic, and verbal interpretations substantially deepens student understanding.
- Almost every concept is illustrated by an example followed by a matching problem to encourage an active rather than passive involvement in the learning process.
- Explore-Discuss Boxes (1-4) appear in each section of the text and offer several problems that can be used for written student responses, class discussions, or as group activities. These problems either motivate or expand upon the section's material.
- A comprehensive Group Activity Box has been added to the end of each chapter.
- Red numbers indicate exercises that involve the written communication of mathematics.
- Added emphasis on concept development, understanding and communication, rather than drill
- Mathematical reform elements have been incorporated throughout the book using the rule of four. The interplay of numeric, symbolic, graphing and verbal interpretations substantially deepens the understanding of many concepts.
- Key pedagogical elements help student comprehension, such as annotations of examples and developments to help through critical stages. Caution warnings identified by an icon alert students to potential problem areas, chapter reviews, and generic calculator steps, and dashed 'think boxes' are all included to enhance student understanding.
- The content satisfies the requirements for many succeeding courses, including calculus, analytic geometry, physics, and technical mathematics courses.
- A perforated Quick Reference card minimizes the need for page turning by putting key equations and graphics at student's finger tips.
- More than 2,000 problems are graded in difficulty from the routine to the challenging. Answers to most of the odd-numbered problems and almost all chapter and cumulative review exercises are included at the end of the book.
- Careful, independent checking and proofing by three mathematics instructors ensure accuracy.
- More graphing material has been added and interspersed in context throughout the book. New material that requires the use of a graphing calculator is identified by an icon, and can be omitted without loss of continuity.
Publisher: Brooks/Cole Publishing Co.
Year Published: 1999
Other Editions of Analytic Trigonometry with Applications: