Summary: A hands-on workbook packaged with a CD-ROM of data sets that exposes students to the empirical side of the sociological study of contemporary social problems. Edition/Copyright: 2ND 01
From a review in Teaching Sociology of the first edition of Analyzing Contemporary Social Issues, ''Particular strengths of this new workbook, and the accompanying data sets, are that it is easy to understand and the exercises are interesting and well-planned. The accompanying workbook for instructor ...show mores is also easy to follow and clearly written. Gregg Carter has done an excellent job with this workbook. The variety of sources he uses as the data base is particularly impressive. Analyzing Contemporary Social Issues is a significant contribution to teaching sociology.''
New To This Edition
- Covers all the usual topics in a Social Problems course and can be used with any Social Problems text or on its own.
- Includes sets of computer exercises that build from ''Basic'' to ''Advanced'' levels.
- Eases students into the world of quantitative thinking and analysis.
- Increases student confidence and interest in social research.
- Concentrates on one-variable analyses.
- Focuses students' attention on the testing of general theoretical propositions against high quality data -- usually from nationally representative surveys or the census.
- The Windows version of CHIP software has replaced the DOS version, providing more graphics options for displaying relationships. The accompanying CD-ROM now includes both Windows and MAC versions.
- Adds a new chapter on how students should read and think about social problems as they are presented in the media (Ch. 1).
- Includes new chapters on education and the environment (Chs. 10 and 11).
- Features new Exploratory exercises that allow students to come up with their own hypotheses and their own interpretations.
- Includes 17 new data files, many of them cross-national with variables that include the status of women, political violence, the environment, economic development, and the type of political systems.
- Increases the number of accompanying exercises.
- A Companion Website will contain updates of the CHIP data sets.
Cover: Other Format
Publisher: Allyn & Bacon, Inc.
Year Published: 2001