Summary: This advanced grammar text encourages students to think critically about grammar and exposes them to a variety of linguistic theories as it prepares them to become K-12 English teachers. Edition/Copyright: 4TH 04
Designed to support and assist students in learning about the structure of the English language, this textbook provides students with sound pedagogical grammar instruction while drawing upon traditional, structural, and transformational grammatical theory. Unlike similar t ...show moreexts, Analyzing English Grammar speaks directly to students by providing clear explanations. It then challenges them to be conscious of their own learning processes by incorporating a variety of strategies that extend beyond memorization and into critical thinking and analysis.
- Shows students how to move from clear, prototypical cases toward critical analysis of the more complex and borderline ambiguous grammar examples that characterize actual language.
- "What's the Usage" sections, found throughout the text, immediately apply grammatical concepts to practical writing problems.
- Teaches the use of phrase marker tree diagrams (adapted from transformational grammar) and traditional Reed-Kellogg diagrams as alternative tools for analyzing sentence structure graphically.
- An extensive Instructor's Manual includes an exercise answer key, teaching suggestions, reproducible quizzes, teaching aids, and suggested study plans.
- Extensive discussion of language acquisition, particularly second language acquisition, addresses this increasingly important concern for secondary school teachers in both urban and rural areas.
- Includes examples of American regional and social dialects with references to Hispanic and Vietnamese influences to show how English is adapted in various groups.
New To This Edition :
- Chapter goals at the beginning of each chapter help students focus on essential concepts. Review exercises at the end of each chapter focus on these goals.
- New examples apply grammar to everyday experiences to pique students' interest and demonstrate the relevancy of studying grammar, e.g., examples of headlines help illustrate syntactic ambiguity.
- The exercises throughout have been revamped into a clear and concise style and are now arranged in an order of increasing complexity.
- Additional exercises in key chapters provoke critical thought instead of simple memorization.
Publisher: Longman, Inc.
Year Published: 2004