Summary: This text addresses a variety of timely and interesting moral issues, providing background information and primary source selections for each issue presented. It includes a chapter on ethical theory and covers a broad range of ethical perspectives--among them virtue ethics (Aristotelian and Confucian), Buddhist and feminist care ethics, and the Rawlsian and communitarian approaches. This fourth edition includes a new section on Ethical Egoism and has been updated to
include readings and case studies covering some of the most pressing issues of recent ethical debate, such as stem cell research, the Iraqi War, the effect of the U.S. Patriot Act on academic freedom, Military conscription, racial profiling of Arab-Americans, the conflict in Darfur, and more.
Summary: This text addresses a variety of timely and interesting moral issues, providing background information and primary source selections for each issue presented. It includes a chapter on ethical theory and covers a broad range of ethical perspectives--among them virtue ethics (Aristotelian and Confucian), Buddhist and feminist care ethics, and the Rawlsian and communitarian approaches. This fourth edition includes a new section on Ethical Egoism and has been updated to include readings and case studies covering some of the most pressing issues of recent ethical debate, such as stem cell research, the Iraqi War, the effect of the U.S. Patriot Act on academic freedom, Military conscription, racial profiling of Arab-Americans, the conflict in Darfur, and more. ...show less
Edition/Copyright:4TH 08 Cover: Paperback Publisher:McGraw-Hill Publishing Company Published: 11/16/2007 International: No
View Table of Contents
1. Moral Theory Moral Philosophy / What Is the Purpose of Moral Theories? / The Types of Moral Theories / Relativism in Ethics / Moving Beyond Ethical Relativism / Morality and Religion / Universality and Religious Ethics / Universal Moral Theories / Ethical Egoism / Utilitarianism / Deontology: The Ethics of Duty / Rights-Based Ethics / Virtue Ethics / Conclusion / Aristotle, from Nicomachean Ethics / Ayn Rand, from The Fountainhead / Jeremy Bentham, from An Introduction to the Principles of Morals and Legislation / John Stuart Mill, from Utilitarianism / Immanuel Kant, from Fundamental Principles of the Metaphysic of Ethics / John Rawls, from A Theory of Justice / John Locke, from Two Treatises of Civil Government / Ayn Rand, "Man's Rights" / Nel Noddings, from Caring: A Feminine Approach to Ethics and Moral Education / Confucius, from The Analects / P. Don Premasiri, "The Relevance of the Noble Eightfold Path to Contemporary Society"
2. Abortion Background / The History of Abortion in the United States / The U.S. Supreme CourtRoe v. WadeDecision / Abortion and Religion / Stages of Fetal Development / Methods of Abortion / The Moral Issues / Conclusion / Judith Jarvis Thomson, "A Defense of Abortion" / John T. Noonan Jr., "An Almost Absolute Value in History" / Mary Anne Warren, "The Moral Significance of Birth" / Don Marquis, "Why Abortion Is Immoral" / Serrin M. Foster, "Refuse to Choose: Women Deserve Better than Abortion" / Steven D. Hales, "Abortion and Fathers' Rights" / Case Studies
3. Genetic Engineering, Cloning and Stem Cell Research The History of Genetic Engineering / The Human Genome Project / Genetic Engineering / Cloning / Stem Cell Research / Moral Issues of Genetic Engineering and Cloning / Conclusion / Matt Ridley, "The New Eugenics" / Judith A. Johnson and Erin D. Williams, "Human Cloning: ethical and Social Issues" / Leon Kass, "The Wisdom of Repugnance: Why We Should Ban the Cloning of Humans" / James Langevin, "Statement in Support of H.R. 810, the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act" / George W. Bush, "Stem Cell Research Policy" / Lori Andrews and Dorothy Nelkin, "Whose Body Is It Anyway? Dispute over Body Tissue in a Biotechnology Age" / Case Studies
4. Euthanasia and Assisted Suicide What Is Euthanasia? / The Philosophers on Euthanasia / The Contemporary Debate over Euthanasia / Euthanasia Legislation / Physician-Assisted Suicide / The Hospice Movement / The Moral Issues / Conclusion / James Rachels, "Active and Passive Euthanasia" / Margaret Pabst Battin, "The Case for Euthanasia" / J. Gay-Williams, "The Wrongfulness of Euthanasia" / John Hardwig, "Is There a Duty to Die?" / Susan M. Wolf, "A Feminist Critique of Physician-Assisted Suicide" / Case Studies
5. The Death Penalty History of the Death Penalty / The Death Penalty Today / The Death Penalty: Juvenile and Mentally Retarded Offenders / The Medicalization of Executions / DNA Testing / The Philosophers on the Death Penalty / Moral Issues / Conclusion / Ernest Van Den Haag, "The Ultimate Punishment: A Defense of Capital Punishment" / Christopher W. Morris, "Punishment and Loss of Moral Standing" / Hugo Adam Bedau, "Capital Punishment" / Jeffrey Reiman, "Why the Death Penalty Should Be Abolished in the United States" / Helen Prejean, from Dead Man Walking / Case Studies
6. Drug and Alcohol Use What Is a Drug? / The History of Drug and Alcohol Use / Legal and Illegal Drugs / Drug and Alcohol Use Today / Drug and Alcohol Use among College Students / Drugs in Sports / The Disease Model of Addiction / The Moral Model of Addiction / The Philosophers on Drug and Alcohol Abuse / Moral Issues / Conclusion / Thomas Szasz, "The Ethics of Addiction" / James Q. Wilson, "Against the Legalization of Drugs" / Douglas N. Husak, "A Moral Right to Use Drugs" / Thomas H. Murray, "Drugs, Sports, and Ethics" / Norman Fost, "Ethical and Social Issues in Performance Enhan
Free Shipping Get Free Shipping on orders over $25 (not including Rental and Marketplace). Order arrives in 5-10 business days.
Need it faster? We offer fast, flat-rate expedited shipping options.
Not the right book for you? We'll gladly take it back within 30 days.
To return an eTextbook:
Your eTextbook is non-returnable once it's been activated. You must contact us about returning your eTextbook before you activate it.
Returns are accepted within 30 days of the purchase date on your order confirmation.
This book qualifies for guaranteed cash back! Buy it now for , then:
Sell it back by:
Guaranteed cash back:
Cost of this book after cash back:
Take advantage of Guaranteed Cash Back. Send your book to us in good condition before the end of the buyback period, we'll send YOU a check, and you'll pay less for your textbooks!
If you find this book for less on Amazon.com (direct from Amazon, not marketplace sellers), we'll match it.
In our warehouse, waiting to ship directly to you.
We hand-inspect every used textbook to make sure it's in good condition.
Buy it now. Sell it later!
Sell this textbook for cash!
When you're done with this book, sell it back to Textbooks.com. In addition to the best possible buyback price, you'll get an extra 10% cash back just for being a customer.
We buy good-condition used textbooks year 'round, 24/7. No matter where you bought it, Textbooks.com will buy your textbooks for the most cash.
We hand-inspect every one of our used textbooks to ensure good condition.
Our used textbooks do NOT have:
Missing or torn pages
Missing or torn cover
Torn or damaged binding
A broken spine
This textbook has never been used.
Due to the size of eTextbooks, a high-speed internet connection (cable modem, DSL, LAN) is required for download stability and speed. Your connection can be wired or wireless.
Being online is not required for reading an eTextbook after successfully downloading it. You must only be connected to the Internet duringthe download process.
XP or Windows 7 (32 or 64 running in 32 bit mode), or Mac OS 10.6 or above
At least 512 MB RAM, 600 mHZ processor, and 40 MB of hard drive space (75MB for Mac OS)
What is the Marketplace? It's another way for you to get the right price on the books you need. We approved every Marketplace vendor to sell their books on Textbooks.com, so you know they're all reliable.
What are Marketplace shipping options? Marketplace items do not qualify for free shipping. When ordering from the Marketplace, please specify whether you want the seller to send your book Standard ($3.99/item) or Express ($6.99/item). To get free shipping over $25, just order directly from Textbooks.com instead of through the Marketplace.
FREE UPS 2nd Day Air Terms
Rental and Marketplace items are excluded. Offer is valid from 1/21/2013 12:00PM to 1/23/2013 11:59AM CST. Your order must be placed by 12 Noon CST to be processed on the same day. Minimum order value is $100.00 excluding Rental and Marketplace items. To redeem this offer, select "FREE UPS 2ND DAY AIR" at checkout. Offer not is not valid on previous orders.