Summary: Written entirely in German, this class-tested, content-based text helps intermediate-level German students to communicate meaningfully in interpersonal, interpretive, and presentational modes. With a stimulating, comparative focus on topics such as contemporary politics, the environment, history, film, music, fine art, literature, and technology, the text encourages creative self-expression as well as critical thinking about the German language and contemporary cultu ...show moreres of the German-speaking world.Edition/Copyright: 05
Anders gedacht engages students in the learning process through inductive grammar instruction and review; cultural interpretation; analysis and comparison with students' own culture; and interactive, task-based practice. Students discover grammar inductively by organizing their findings and, in many cases, formulating rules for themselves rather than reading about specific grammar rules. Authentic recordings, film, and fine art also serve to develop the program's comparative focus on topics such as history, contemporary politics, the environment, business, and technology. For example, the history of the Weimar Republic and the Third Reich is presented in connection with a film that documents the rise and fall of a music ensemble called the Comedian Harmonists.
- The National Standards for Foreign Language Learning are integrated into the text, encouraging students to communicate in interpersonal, interpretive, and presentational modes. Activities also promote cultural and linguistic comparisons.
- An emphasis on the links between language and culture encourages students to compare and contrast information, analyze structures and content, and predict outcomes. This focus guides learners to think about language and culture together.
- A complete review and expansion of German grammar, along with correlated grammar and vocabulary practice, is located in the workbook and referenced in textbook chapters.
- Comprehensive cultural coverage includes a broad range of cultural practices, products, and perspectives on the German-speaking world--including Austria and Switzerland.
- Numerous task-based activities--designed for individual, pair, group, or whole-class work--reinforce chapter topics while fostering verbal and written communication and personal expression. Some activities include speaking-strategy instruction that provides techniques to help students build their speaking skills in areas such as persuasion, exposition, and description.
- Students listen to and think critically about a variety of authentic recordings, including music, a fairy tale, an excerpt from a novel, an interview with a contemporary German author, excerpts from a speech given by a Swiss politician, and several film soundtracks.
- Reading strategies encourage students to implement techniques that will make them more successful readers and prepare them for advanced German study.
- Writing practice--including biographical sketches; film-plot summaries; personal and public narratives; song lyrics; and argumentative, expository, and compare/contrast essays--appears throughout the text as free-form, personalized, and creative-writing assignments.
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Other Editions of Anders Gedacht -text Only: