ISBN13:978-0195305104 ISBN10: 0195305108 This edition has also been released as: ISBN13: 978-0195152173 ISBN10: 0195152174
Summary: Cass Sunstein and Martha Nussbaum bring together an all-star cast of contributors to explore the legal and political issues that underlie the campaign for animal rights and the opposition to it. Ethical questions on ownership, protection against suffering and the ability of animals to make their own choices free from human control are thought-provokingly examined. The contributors approach the question of animal rights and welfare from diverse perspectives, engaging the reader and ea
ch other in lively debate. Stimulating, and scholarly, this is the first anthology to bring current theory in touch with the latest scientific evidence and concrete issues of social policy and practice.
Summary: Cass Sunstein and Martha Nussbaum bring together an all-star cast of contributors to explore the legal and political issues that underlie the campaign for animal rights and the opposition to it. Ethical questions on ownership, protection against suffering and the ability of animals to make their own choices free from human control are thought-provokingly examined. The contributors approach the question of animal rights and welfare from diverse perspectives, engaging the reader and each other in lively debate. Stimulating, and scholarly, this is the first anthology to bring current theory in touch with the latest scientific evidence and concrete issues of social policy and practice. ...show less
Edition/Copyright:04 Cover: Paperback Publisher:Oxford University Press Published: 11/24/2005 International: No
View Table of Contents
Introduction: What Are Animal Rights?, Cass R. Sunstein, University of Chicago
Part I: Current Debates
1. Animal Rights, One Step At A Time, Stephen M. Wise, Vermont Law School
2. Animal Rights: Legal, Philosophical, and Pragmatic Perspectives, Richard A. Posner, Judge of the United States Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit, and Senior Lecturer at the University of Chicago Law School
3. Ethics Beyond Species and Beyond Instincts: A Reply to Richard Posner, Peter Singer, Ira W. DeCamp Professor of Bioethics, University Center for Human Values, Princeton University
4. Eating Meat and Eating People, Cora Diamond, Kenan Professor and University Professor Emerita at the University of Virginia
5. Taking Animal Interests Seriously, Gary L. Francione, Professor of Law and Nicholas de B. Katzenbach Distinguished Scholar of Law and Philosophy, Rutgers University School of Law--Newark
6. Animals As Objects, or Subjects, of Rights, Richard A. Epstein, James Parker Hall Distinguished Professor of Law, University of Chicago Law School, Peter and Kirsten Senior Fellow, The Hoover Institution
7. Drawing Lines, James Rachels, University Professor of Philosophy, University of Alabama at Birmingham
8. All Animals Are Not Equal: The Interface Between Scientific Knowledge and Legislation for Animal Rights, Lesley J. Rogers and Gisela Kaplan, both Professors of Neuroscience and Animal Behavior at the University of New England, Australia
Part II: New Directions
9. Foxes in the Hen House: Animals, Agribusiness, and the Law, David J. Wolfson, senior associate at Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy LLP, Lecturer in Law Harvard Law School, and adjunct professor at the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law and Mariann Sullivan, Deputy Chief Court Attorney at the New York State Appellate Division, First Department, former chair of the animal law committee of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York
10. A New Property Status for Animals: Equitable Self-Ownership, David Favre: Professor, Michigan State University DCL College of Law
11. Can Animals Sue?, Cass R. Sunstein, University of Chicago
12. Of Mice and Men: A Feminist Fragment on Animal Rights, Catharine A. MacKinnon, Elizabeth A. Long Professor of Law, University of Michigan Law School, and long-term visitor, University of Chicago Law School
13. Animal Rights and the Values of Nonhuman Life, Elizabeth Anderson, Professor of Philosophy and Women's Studies, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
14. "Beyond Compassion and Humanity": Justice for Non-Human Animals, Martha C. Nussbaum, University of Chicago
Barnes & Noble.com Various Shipping Locations, USA
Brand new, ships from the closest shipping location to your shipping address!
$7.17 +$3.99 s/h
Goodwill of Southern California Ontario, CA
Book is in Acceptable condition: The item is fairly worn but continues to work perfectly. Signs of wear can include aesthetic issues such as scratches, dents, and worn corners. The item may have ident...show moreifying markings on it or show signs of previous use. ...show less
$7.17 +$3.99 s/h
Goodwillnyonline Astoria, NY
$7.99 +$3.99 s/h
HPB-Niles Niles, IL
2005 Paperback Good Connecting readers with great books since 1972. Used books may not include companion materials, some shelf wear, may contain highlighting/notes, may not include cd-rom or access...show more codes. Customer service is our top priority! ...show less
$10.87 +$3.99 s/h
Textbookcenter.com Columbia, MO
Ships same day or next business day via UPS (Priority Mail for AK/HI/APO/PO Boxes)! Used sticker and some writing and/or highlighting. Used books may not include working access code or dust jacket.
$15.12 +$3.99 s/h
Kings Ridge Media WI Appleton, WI
2005-11-24 Paperback UsedGood Good Condition item. We strive to provide the best shopping experience with every item we sell. Satisfaction guaranteed! ! Ships from US. Please allow 1-3 weeks for de...show morelivery outside US. ...show less
$15.22 +$3.99 s/h
GreatBookPrices Westminster, MD
Used, Acceptable Condition, may show signs of wear and previous use. Please allow 4-14 business days for delivery. 100% Money Back Guarantee, Over 1,000,000 customers served.
$16.35 +$3.99 s/h
indoo Avenel, NJ
$16.45 +$3.99 s/h
EuroBooks Horcott Rd, Fairford,
New Book. Shipped from UK within 10 to 14 business days. Established seller since 2000.
$17.77 +$3.99 s/h
PaperbackshopUS Secaucus, NJ
New Book. Shipped from US within 10 to 14 business days. Established seller since 2000.
$17.81 +$3.99 s/h
GreatBookPrices Westminster, MD
Brand New, Perfect Condition, Please allow 4-14 business days for delivery. 100% Money Back Guarantee, Over 1,000,000 customers served.
Free Shipping Get Free Shipping on orders over $25 (not including Rental and Marketplace). Order arrives in 5-10 business days.
Need it faster? We offer fast, flat-rate expedited shipping options.
Not the right book for you? We'll gladly take it back within 30 days.
To return an eTextbook:
Your eTextbook is non-returnable once it's been activated. You must contact us about returning your eTextbook before you activate it.
Returns are accepted within 30 days of the purchase date on your order confirmation.
This book qualifies for guaranteed cash back! Buy it now for , then:
Sell it back by:
Guaranteed cash back:
Cost of this book after cash back:
Take advantage of Guaranteed Cash Back. Send your book to us in good condition before the end of the buyback period, we'll send YOU a check, and you'll pay less for your textbooks!
If you find this book for less on Amazon.com (direct from Amazon, not marketplace sellers), we'll match it.
In our warehouse, waiting to ship directly to you.
We hand-inspect every used textbook to make sure it's in good condition.
Buy it now. Sell it later!
Sell this textbook for cash!
When you're done with this book, sell it back to Textbooks.com. In addition to the best possible buyback price, you'll get an extra 10% cash back just for being a customer.
We buy good-condition used textbooks year 'round, 24/7. No matter where you bought it, Textbooks.com will buy your textbooks for the most cash.
We hand-inspect every one of our used textbooks to ensure good condition.
Our used textbooks do NOT have:
Missing or torn pages
Missing or torn cover
Torn or damaged binding
A broken spine
This textbook has never been used.
Due to the size of eTextbooks, a high-speed internet connection (cable modem, DSL, LAN) is required for download stability and speed. Your connection can be wired or wireless.
Being online is not required for reading an eTextbook after successfully downloading it. You must only be connected to the Internet duringthe download process.
XP or Windows 7 (32 or 64 running in 32 bit mode), or Mac OS 10.6 or above
At least 512 MB RAM, 600 mHZ processor, and 40 MB of hard drive space (75MB for Mac OS)
What is the Marketplace? It's another way for you to get the right price on the books you need. We approved every Marketplace vendor to sell their books on Textbooks.com, so you know they're all reliable.
What are Marketplace shipping options? Marketplace items do not qualify for free shipping. When ordering from the Marketplace, please specify whether you want the seller to send your book Standard ($3.99/item) or Express ($6.99/item). To get free shipping over $25, just order directly from Textbooks.com instead of through the Marketplace.
FREE UPS 2nd Day Air Terms
Rental and Marketplace items are excluded. Offer is valid from 1/21/2013 12:00PM to 1/23/2013 11:59AM CST. Your order must be placed by 12 Noon CST to be processed on the same day. Minimum order value is $100.00 excluding Rental and Marketplace items. To redeem this offer, select "FREE UPS 2ND DAY AIR" at checkout. Offer not is not valid on previous orders.