Summary: The Expanded Eighth Edition of Applied Calculus for Business, Economics, and the Social and Life Sciences includes four additional chapters: - Chapter 8, Differential Equations - Chapter 9, Infinite Series and Taylor Approximations - Chapter 10, Probability and Calculus - Chapter 11, Trigonometric Functions The textbook meets the needs of instructors who cover topics in one or more of these four chapters together with material from the initial seven chapters. This is
often a two-semester course. (The word "Applied" in this title distinguishes this volume from the shorter edition.)The book introduces calculus in real-world contexts; the primary goal is to provide a sound, intuitive understanding of basic concepts students need as they pursue careers in business, the life sciences and the social sciences.
Summary: The Expanded Eighth Edition of Applied Calculus for Business, Economics, and the Social and Life Sciences includes four additional chapters: - Chapter 8, Differential Equations - Chapter 9, Infinite Series and Taylor Approximations - Chapter 10, Probability and Calculus - Chapter 11, Trigonometric Functions The textbook meets the needs of instructors who cover topics in one or more of these four chapters together with material from the initial seven chapters. This is often a two-semester course. (The word "Applied" in this title distinguishes this volume from the shorter edition.)The book introduces calculus in real-world contexts; the primary goal is to provide a sound, intuitive understanding of basic concepts students need as they pursue careers in business, the life sciences and the social sciences. ...show less
Edition/Copyright:8TH 05 Cover: Hardback Publisher:McGraw-Hill Publishing Company Published: 07/16/2004 International: No
View Table of Contents
1 Functions, Graphs, and Limits
1. Functions 2. The Graph of a Function 3. Linear Functions 4. Functional Models 5. Limits 6. One-Sided Limits and Continuity
2 Differentiation: Basic Concepts
1. The Derivative 2. Techniques of Differentiation 3. Product and Quotient Rules; Higher Order Derivatives 4. The Chain Rule 5. Marginal Analysis and Approximations Using Increments 6. Implicit Differentiation and Related Rates
3 Additional Applications of the Derivative
1. Increasing and Decreasing Functions; Relative Extrema 2. Concavity and Points of Inflection 3. Curve Sketching 4. Optimization 5. Additional Applied Optimization
4 Exponential and Logarithmic Functions
1. Exponential Functions 2. Logarithmic Functions 3. Differentiation of Logarithmic and Exponential Functions 4. Additional Exponential Models
1. Antidifferentiation: The Indefinite Integral 2. Integration by Substitution 3. The Definite Integral and the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus 4. Applying Definite Integration: Area Between Curves and Average Value 5. Additional Applications to Business and Economics 6. Additional Applications to the Life and Social Sciences
6 Additional Topics in Integration
1. Integration by Parts; Integral Tables 2. Improper Integrals 3. Numerical Integration
7 Calculus of Several Variables
1. Functions of Several Variables 2. Partial Derivatives 3. Optimizing Functions of Two Variables 4. The Method of Least-Squares 5. Constrained Optimization: The Method of Lagrange Multipliers 6. Double Integrals
8 Differential Equations
1. Introduction to Differential Equations 2. First-Order Linear Differential Equations 3. Additional Applications of Differential Equations 4. Approximate Solutions of Differential Equations 5. Difference Equations
9 Infinite Series and Taylor Series Approximations
1. Infinite Series 2. Tests for Convergence 3. Functions as Power Series; Taylor Series
10 Probability and Calculus
1. Discrete Random Variables 2. Continuous Random Variables 3. Expected Value and Variance of Continuous Random Variables 4. Normal and Poisson Probability Distributions
11 Trigonometric Functions
1. The Trigonometric Functions 2. Differentiation and Integration of Trigonometric Functions 3. Additional Applications Involving Trigonometric Functions Appendix A Algebra Review 1. A Brief Review of Algebra 2. Factoring Polynomials and Solving Systems of Equations Tables I Powers of e II The Natural Logarithm (Base e) III Trigonometric Functions
Shows some signs of wear, and may have some markings on the inside. 100% Money Back Guarantee. Shipped to over one million happy customers. Your purchase benefits world literacy!
$102.00 +$3.99 s/h
One Planet Books Columbia, MO
Ships same day or next business day! UPS expedited shipping available (Priority Mail for AK/HI/APO/PO Boxes). Used sticker & some writing and/or highlighting. Used books may not include working access...show more code or dust jacket ...show less
Free Shipping Get Free Shipping on orders over $25 (not including Rental and Marketplace). Order arrives in 5-10 business days.
Need it faster? We offer fast, flat-rate expedited shipping options.
Not the right book for you? We'll gladly take it back within 30 days.
To return an eTextbook:
Your eTextbook is non-returnable once it's been activated. You must contact us about returning your eTextbook before you activate it.
Returns are accepted within 30 days of the purchase date on your order confirmation.
This book qualifies for guaranteed cash back! Buy it now for , then:
Sell it back by:
Guaranteed cash back:
Cost of this book after cash back:
Take advantage of Guaranteed Cash Back. Send your book to us in good condition before the end of the buyback period, we'll send YOU a check, and you'll pay less for your textbooks!
If you find this book for less on Amazon.com (direct from Amazon, not marketplace sellers), we'll match it.
In our warehouse, waiting to ship directly to you.
We hand-inspect every used textbook to make sure it's in good condition.
Buy it now. Sell it later!
Sell this textbook for cash!
When you're done with this book, sell it back to Textbooks.com. In addition to the best possible buyback price, you'll get an extra 10% cash back just for being a customer.
We buy good-condition used textbooks year 'round, 24/7. No matter where you bought it, Textbooks.com will buy your textbooks for the most cash.
We hand-inspect every one of our used textbooks to ensure good condition.
Our used textbooks do NOT have:
Missing or torn pages
Missing or torn cover
Torn or damaged binding
A broken spine
This textbook has never been used.
Due to the size of eTextbooks, a high-speed internet connection (cable modem, DSL, LAN) is required for download stability and speed. Your connection can be wired or wireless.
Being online is not required for reading an eTextbook after successfully downloading it. You must only be connected to the Internet duringthe download process.
XP or Windows 7 (32 or 64 running in 32 bit mode), or Mac OS 10.6 or above
At least 512 MB RAM, 600 mHZ processor, and 40 MB of hard drive space (75MB for Mac OS)
What is the Marketplace? It's another way for you to get the right price on the books you need. We approved every Marketplace vendor to sell their books on Textbooks.com, so you know they're all reliable.
What are Marketplace shipping options? Marketplace items do not qualify for free shipping. When ordering from the Marketplace, please specify whether you want the seller to send your book Standard ($3.99/item) or Express ($6.99/item). To get free shipping over $25, just order directly from Textbooks.com instead of through the Marketplace.
FREE UPS 2nd Day Air Terms
Rental and Marketplace items are excluded. Offer is valid from 1/21/2013 12:00PM to 1/23/2013 11:59AM CST. Your order must be placed by 12 Noon CST to be processed on the same day. Minimum order value is $100.00 excluding Rental and Marketplace items. To redeem this offer, select "FREE UPS 2ND DAY AIR" at checkout. Offer not is not valid on previous orders.