Summary: Applied College Algebra, the newest text from the experienced author team of Aufmann, Nation, and Clegg, is designed to provide students with a solid mathematical foundation enhanced by motivating and relevant applications. The interactive presentation of concepts supports students with a variety of learning styles and provides a comfortable transition to more advanced mathematics for all students, especially those coming from developmental courses. Numerous applicat ...show moreions and features appeal to students with diverse interests and majors and offer instructors flexible teaching options. Edition/Copyright: 04
- Chapter Prep Quizzes at the start of each chapter help students assess their prerequisite knowledge. This quick point-of-use review can be used by struggling students who need more practice and support before proceeding to the next chapter. Each question includes a section reference that students can use to get additional support and view related examples.
- Problem Solving Strategies to guide students in developing problem-solving skills appear at the start of each chapter. These strategies will help students approach various problems and applications more successfully.
- Clear Examples paired with Check Your Progress Questions are hallmark features of the Aufmann Interactive Method. After a worked-out example is presented, a similar Check Your Progress exercise helps students practice the concept. This feature can be used by instructors as an easy way to immediately check students' understanding or by students for additional practice and study support.
- Full Solutions to Check Your Progress Questions appear in an appendix. The complete solution not only provides students full support in understanding new material, but serves as an additional example to students reviewing material for a test or quiz.
- The authors' understandable writing style and an approach that promotes active learning include special critical-thinking Questions to Check for Understanding. To further support students studying independently, the Answer to each question is conveniently provided as a footnote on the same page.
- Review Exercises for the next section of a chapter appear in every exercise set and prepare students for the upcoming section. Each of these exercises contains references to a section where students can conveniently review examples and concept explanations for material they've forgotten.
- Take Note sections support students by cautioning them about common errors and highlighting specific points to help them better understand mathematical concepts.
- Chapter Summaries include a list of Key Terms and a list of Essential Concepts and Formulas. Page references are included for all Terms and Formulas for easy review.
- Chapter exercises include True/False Exercises that prompt students to think critically about key concepts and help them better prepare for quizzes and exams; Chapter Review Exercises, complete with section references, providing a cumulative review of the material in the chapter; Chapter Tests, chosen to simulate a typical chapter test both in content and in length, enabling students to easily practice not only their mathematical skills but also their test-taking skills; and Cumulative Review Exercises (after every chapter except Chapter P), which provide ongoing review of material from earlier chapters, enabling students to keep skills current and easily practice for midterms and final exams.
- Optional integration of technology includes graphing calculator discussions, examples, and exercises presented throughout the text, used to introduce or extend concepts and as an alternative method of solving certain problems.
- Topics for Discussion, found in every section just prior to the start of the exercises, can form the basis for a group or class discussion or serve as a student writing assignment.
- Explorations at the end of each exercise set feature comprehensive, project-like exercises designed to encourage students to research and write about mathematics and its applications.
- Motivating, relevant applications include a Chapter Opening Application with a photo and caption to capture students' interest and illustrate a relevant, practical use for the mathematics to come in the chapter. These applications are cross-referenced to a specific exercise in the section that promotes further exploration.
- Diverse application options are grouped according to five classifications: Life and Health Sciences, Business and Economics, Physical Sciences and Engineering, Social Sciences, and Sports and Recreation. These groupings make it easy for instructors to customize assignments to the diverse needs and interests of their students and help students find relevance in the math concepts they are learning across the disciplines.
- Point of Interest margin notes contain interesting insights into mathematics, its history, or its application.
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt