This edition has also been released as:
ISBN13: 978-0534419714, 978-0534419721
ISBN10: 0534419712, 0534419720
Summary: In APPLIED MATHEMATICS FOR THE MANAGERIAL, LIFE, AND SOCIAL SCIENCES, Soo T. Tan provides an accessible yet accurate presentation of mathematics combined with just the right balance of applications, pedagogy, and technology to help students succeed in the course. The new Third Edition includes highly interesting current applications and exercises to help stimulate student motivation. An exciting new array of supplements provides students with extensive learning suppo ...show morert so instructors will have more time to focus on teaching the core concepts.Edition/Copyright: 3RD 04
- NEW!-Exciting new applications, including more references to original source material, have been added to build student interest and illustrate real world application. These include Online Travel, the Market for Drugs, Investment Clubs, Nuclear Plant Utilization, Production Planning, Starbuck's Annual Sales, Female Life Expectancy at 65, and Marital Status of Males.
- Real world applications in the areas of business, economics, behavioral, life, physical, and social sciences motivate mathematical results and make the subject come to life for students.
- Conceptual learning is encouraged through exercises, group discussion and writing questions, and an early introduction to modeling.
- GROUP DISCUSSION QUESTIONS require more in-depth thinking than the usual exercises.
- SELF-CHECK exercises in every section, with solutions, help students monitor their own progress.
- REMARKS help clarify the more subtle mathematical idea.
- CAUTIONS highlight common pitfalls.
- PORTFOLIOS show the students the relevance of the material they are studying.
- EXPLORING WITH TECHNOLOGY questions appear throughout the text in special boxes that make it easy for instructors to incorporate technology however they wish.
- USING TECHNOLOGY sections show how Microsoft Excel and graphing utilities can facilitate the analysis and solution of complicated problems. They are presented in the traditional example-exercise format. Many up-to-date real life applications have been added.
- An updated Web site includes expanded coverage of Excel topics, study hints, review material, practice tests, and instructions for using various graphing calculators.
- NEW!-Section 6.4 on Sensitivity Analysis has been added. The treatment of this important topic in two variable enables the student to visualize all the steps involved in the post-optimal analysis of linear programming problems.
- NEW!-Microsoft- Excel has been incorporated into the USING TECHNOLOGY sections to complement the graphing calculator coverage and make the text more practical for today's students. Step-by-step instructions along with the Excel dialog boxes and charts have been included for ease of use.
- NEW!-Technology coverage is enhanced, including more than thirty additional graphing calculator screenshots, a new USING TECHNOLOGY section that focuses on the analysis of mathematical models that involve exponential and logarithmic functions has been added.
- NEW!-The chapter on MATHEMATICS OF FINANCE has been strengthened with the addition of many new relevant real-life applications such as Bridge Loans, Rate Comparisons, Retirement Accounts, and Financing a Home. The USING TECHNOLOGY sections in this chapter have been rewritten to take advantage of the built-in financial functions of the TI-83 calculator.
- NEW!-The section on mathematical modeling has been rewritten with an emphasis on the process of modeling and a new application has been added to illustrate the process.
- NEW!-New examples show how logarithms can be used to solve for r (rate) and t (time) in interest rate problems.
- NEW!-New figures have been added and many graphs have been redrawn to clarify examples and applications.
- NEW!-New supplements provide increased support for teaching and learning. These include an enhanced Web site, an Instructor's Suite CD-ROM, and a stand-alone Microsoft- Excel Manual.
Publisher: Brooks/Cole Publishing Co.
Other Editions of Applied Mathematics for Managerial, Life, and Social Sciences: