Summary: This text is intended for instructors who emphasize teaching students how to locate, read, and interpret, and apply the findings of educational research studies. This revision addresses how to design and conduct a research study in more detail. Edition/Copyright: 5TH 05
The text includes numerous recent, published research articles involving high-interest problems of educational practice. The chapters, which treat quantitative, qualitative, and applied forms of educational research ...show more, stand alone, allowing instructors to choose those they want to cover. This text brings research alive for educators by introducing readers to people who actually "do" research. Designed for courses focused primarily on applying, rather than conducting research, it includes 13 actual research articles, reprinted in their entirety. The book makes no assumptions about readers' prior knowledge of research or statistics. This text builds students' confidence so that they are able to successfully read research reports and research. For the first time, readers will see the relevance of research to educational practice.
New To This Edition
- The text provides detailed treatment of how to locate, read, review, and apply the findings of research reports in the education literature. The 13 reprinted research reports cover all the major quantitative research methods and qualitative research approaches discussed in the text.
- Original researcher's comments accompanying each reprinted article address many of the challenges and opportunities involved in the design, conduct, and reporting of research.
- A balanced approach to both qualitative and quantitative research methods.
- Accessible coverage on statistical analysis provides a non-threatening introduction to the basic techniques needed to apply or conduct research. (Ch. 6 ). The reprinted research reports include footnotes, prepared by the authors, that explain specialized statistics or refer to book pages where the statistics are discussed.
- Updated treatment of action research (Ch. 15) shows students how they can conduct research projects in their work settings in order to improve their practice or solve work-related problems.
- Chapter-opening vignettes introduce the ideas of the chapter and show how a typical student benefits from learning the information presented in the chapter.
- Provides strong coverage on the most recent computer search procedures for applying research.
- End-of-chapter multiple-choice questions allow students to monitor their comprehension.
- NEW! Seven of the 13 research articles, all published since 2000, are new to this edition. Each of the 13 articles is a well designed, reported example of the research method it illustrates. More diverse article sources, including a wider variety of journals, topics, and specializations, expose students to a myriad of research avenues.
- Careful updates and revisions throughout the text reflect current educational research and practice.
- NEW! The examples for outlining a research proposal show students how the various elements of a research study are designed.
- New updates of research examples, inclusion of Resources for Further Study, and appendices reflecting current issues in education and new trends in research methodology.
- Updated treatment of qualitative research, including major revisions of Chapter 12, "Critical-Theory Research" and Chapter 15, "Action Research."
- Numerous new tables and figures have been added to further clarity and readability
- New Research Proposal Guide can be packaged for FREE with this text.
Publisher: Allyn & Bacon, Inc.