More than just an anthology of Spanish and Spanish American literature, this text is also an introduction to literary analysis. Organized by genres (prose, poetry, drama, and the essay), it provides a rich and diverse array of reading selections. Each section is accompanied by an introduction and exercises.
New to This Edition
- The introductory section has been expanded with both text and visuals to help students understand that literature is also a form of art.
- Many readings representing all four genres are new to this edition (please see the Table of Contents for a complete listing). Introductions to the literary genres have also been updated.
- The text's accompanying website provides additional information on the authors included in the anthology, as well as Web-based research activities related to the readings.
- Coverage of all four genres (narrative, poetry, drama, and the essay) gives students a broad introduction to literature and offers instructors added flexibility in choosing selections.
- Each part opens with a thorough introduction to the genre represented and the readings included, addressing both theory and the application of theory.
- The text unlocks the technical vocabulary of the Hispanic literary critic for students who possess a relatively limited knowledge of Spanish.
- Readings are followed by Cuestionario (comprehension-based questions), Identificaciones (identification questions), and Temas (topics for discussion and writing).
- Useful appendices include excerpts from critical essays, examples of poetic verse classifications by syllables, a glossary of literary terms, and a chronological index of literary works in their historical context.