This edition has also been released as:
Summary: This introduction to argumentation with integrated readings and abundant activities combines coverage of the principles of classical argument with a focus on the various community contexts, historical and contemporary, that influence arguments. Edition/Copyright: 3RD 03
New to This Edition :
- Over 75% New Readings: Readings on single topics now appear in clusters of three to present a broader range of perspectives, a ...show morend readings on current topics (such as youth culture, cloning, and the Internet) have been added throughout.
- Visual Argument Chapter: The Third Edition provides detailed coverage of visual arguments (ch. 12)--including photographs, cartoons, illustrations, advertisements, and web pages.
- More Writing Instruction and Student Models: The Third Edition includes new guides to analyzing arguments and the process of writing arguments, including summarizing, paraphrasing, and quoting. Student models (samples and complete essays) now appear throughout the text.
- Napster and Columbine Case Studies: The Columbine high school shootings are discussed in each chapter as an extended casebook example. Napster serves as the focus of a briefer case study.
- Streamlined: Rhetorical appeals (ethos, logos, pathos) are now covered in three chapters and research is covered in one chapter. To offer instructors more flexibility, the text no longer includes an anthology of readings.
- Rhetorical Situation: Arguing in Communities offers the most coverage of rhetorical situations available in any argumentation text, and addresses topics such as the life cycle of rhetorical situations and the way in which rhetorical situations change as more people join the conversation.
- Thorough Research Coverage: Chapter 6, Writing Researched Arguments, covers writing from sources in detail, including MLA and APA documentation styles. Sample papers in both MLA and APA styles are included, as is extensive coverage of online sources.
Publisher: McGraw-Hill Publishing Company
Year Published: 2003