Summary: The first and most thoroughly developed audience-oriented argumentation text, Argumentation and Critical Decision Making presents argumentation as a cooperative, communicative process.Edition/Copyright: 6TH 05
The text examines the general principles of argument in a rigorous yet readable manner and then applies those principles to different spheres of life--law, science, religion, business, and politics--to explore how conventions of argument change when applied to these real ...show more-world arenas. Focusing on the dynamics of decision-making and using real-life examples to illustrate principles, this book aims to help readers develop practical argumentation skills within the world of their daily lives.
New To This Edition
- Understanding the audience, whether readers or listeners, is vital to understanding argumentation, and this is one of the few texts to take a thoroughly audience-oriented approach.
- Includes the most current research and updated examples to make the material even more relevant to students.
- Real-world examples throughout help make concepts more clear and help readers see the relevance of argumentation skills to their lives.
- Because language is at the core of all aspects of argument, coverage is integrated throughout the text.
- Unique student "Projects" at the end of each chapter get students actively involved in material, applying principles learned in the text to real life.
- Chapter 9, "Evidence and Argument in Religion" adds an additional "sphere" and expands cultural diversity coverage.
- The Sixth Edition has a new organization with the chapters arranged into three sections: Principles, Tools, and Applications.
- Chapters 1-3 have been restructured and shortened, making them a more fluid and understandable introduction to argumentation.
- An increased emphasis on decision-making rather than debating keeps the text away from the highly aggressive, adversarial tone of some texts.
- Chapter 3 now includes a discussion of post-modern and feminist approaches to argumentation, and shows that argumentation is valuable to everyone, not just those who are aggressive.
Publisher: Allyn & Bacon, Inc.
Other Editions of Argumentation and Critical Decision Making: