Summary: For one/two-semester survey courses in Art History and World Art; courses in Art Appreciation and Studio or Design courses. Edition/Copyright: 2ND 04
This text serves as a brief introduction to the history of art, reflecting new interests and issues, expanding the topic to include women and minorities, and showing media and techniques other than painting, sculpture, and architecture. Written without art historical or aesthetic jargon, Art: A Brief History is visually appealing as ...show morewell as intellectually stimulating, and is aimed at the new generation of students and instructors.
- NEW - CD-ROM: Art History Interactive--Contains 1,000 images for study, and presentation packaged free with text.
- NEW - Art Notes for Art: A Brief History, 2/E.Art Notes is a lecture companion that contains all of the captions from the art in the book along with thumbnail images of key works so that students can take notes more easily during lecture.
- NEW - Reorganized chapters. Enables students to enjoy a text that has been resequenced according to actual student and instructor feedback.
- NEW - Full chapter on Islamic art--Reviewed by Jonathan Bloom, one of the leading scholars in the field.
- Gives students material that has been expanded and updated, in response to recent political events and upgraded interest.
- NEW - A Closer Look--Examines a single work of art in some detail.
- Enables students to see the richness of art history.
- NEW - Looking Back--Provides a review at logical examination points throughout text.
- Provides an illustrated timeline and map, along with a narrative summary of several chapters' contents.
- NEW - Looking Forward--New introductory illustrations and essays.
- Introduces students to each chapter and captures their imagination.
- NEW - Canadian art coverage.
- Gives students a text that features Canadian art-the only text on the market to do so.
- NEW - Many large, new colorful illustrations--Includes new photographs of cleaned works of art as well as many new drawings and diagrams.
- Captures students' interest with beautiful visuals.
- NEW - Revised and updated bibliography.
- Provides students with an excellent resource for further study.
- A contextual approach to art history--Treats the subject within the essential contexts of history, geography, sociology, politics, religion, and other arts being made at the time.
- Gives students a broader understanding and appreciation of art; enables instructors to have a wide variety of subject matter.
- User-friendly, clear, jargon-free style--Assumes no prior knowledge and presents complex concepts in simple--but not simplistic--terms.
- Draws beginning students into the narrative and keeps them reading.
- An unprecedented illustration program--Features an abundance of full color illustrations as well as hundreds of original line drawings.
- Helps students visualize the art as they read.
- Reflection of the expertise, suggestions, criticisms, and contributions of a distinguished team of scholars and educators.
- Provides students with an exceptionally accurate text.
- The most recent scholarship--Reflects trends and new discoveries impacting the field of art history.
- Makes students aware of the dynamic nature of the discipline.
- Unparalleled coverage of art techniques and elements of architecture--Contains labeled drawings and diagrams, and a complete glossary of terms. Defines boldfaced terms briefly when first mentioned.
- Helps students with the material they find most difficult.
- A more inclusive point of view--Integrates the contributions of women and minorities throughout the text. Also covers decorative arts and other media neglected in other survey texts.
- Gives students a clear sense of the diversity of artistic production.
- Global coverage.
- Introduces students to the cultural ancestry of many ethnic groups and treats non-Western art on its own terms.
- Outstanding coverage of world religions--Includes the beliefs of the ancient world, and considers the historical founders of the world's major living religions.
- Enriches students' understanding and experience of art.
- Many short, boxed, and often illustrated essays--Cover such topics as related ideas and facts, patronage, criticism, and iconography.
- Gives students the opportunity to explore interesting aspects of topics and artworks, allowing them to delve more deeply into the many dimensions of art history.
- Student Study Guide and Instructor's Manual with TestBank.
- Provides students and instructors with high quality course support.
Publisher: Prentice Hall, Inc.