Summary: Art and Creative Development for young Children, 4E, written for early childhood professionals and those preparing to work with children in child care, preschool, or a Kindergarten through third grade setting, is a comprehensive, must-have resource for setting up a developmentally appropriate art program. This updated text takes a child-centered approach to art education. It covers the important issues of art safety, cultural diversity, special needs, developmentally ...show more appropriate practice and the role of technology and computers in the lives of young children. Full of child-tested activities and extensive resources for art materials, this text subtly blends theory and research with practical application.Edition/Copyright: 4TH 02
- NEW! New color insert depicting children's artwork ("Our World of Art")
- NEW! Expanded discussion of developmental appropriateness as it relates to early childhood art programs
- NEW! Updated strategies for responding to children's art
- NEW! Updated information on art assessment
- NEW! Updated list of current children's books that focus on art or can be integrated with art activities
- NEW! Discussion of national art standards
- NEW! Different approaches to early childhood curriculum development including teacher planned, emergent curriculum, and project approach.
- Chapter objectives, review and suggested activity questions, and key terms list appear in each chapter.
- Abundant class-tested activities throughout
- Icons are used throughout to indicate age-appropriateness of art activities for Older Toddlers and Twos, Preschoolers or Threes and Fours, Kindergartners or Fives, and School-age children or Fives through Eights.
- NAEYC icon indicates statements supported by the NAEYC position paper on Developmentally Appropriate Practices
- NEW! More in-depth coverage of children with special needs and cultural diversity
- NEW! Discussion of technology and computers in the early childhood classroom
- NEW! Nearly 100 new photos have been added depicting toddlers, preschoolers and schoolagers engaged in art as well as their finished products
- NEW! Many new child-centered art activities have been added
- NEW! Key terms list in each chapter and comprehensive glossary
- NEW! Information has been added in the following areas: brain research, the relationship between culture and art, eighth multiple intelligence, theory of contructivism, constructivist education and types of knowledge, and Vygotsky's sociocultural theory
- NEW! Revised and expanded coverage of art safety
- NEW! Updated information on creativity, aesthetics, and play including Howard Gardner's stages of artistic and aesthetic development
Publisher: Delmar Publications
Other Editions of Art and Creative Development for Young Children: