Summary: The Art of Being Human, Eighth Edition, introduces students to the ways in which the humanities can broaden their perspectives, enhance their ability to think critically, and enrich their lives.Edition/Copyright: 8TH 06
Ideal for the one-semester humanities course, this well-respected book has been lauded for its scope, accessibility, and writing style. Featuring a unique topical organization, Part I examines ways of responding to the humanities, their mythic origins, and important ...show more struggles in the arts. Part II explores the individual genres of literature, art, music, theater, song and dance, and cinema. Part III looks at provocative themes in the humanities: religion, morality, happiness, love, life and death, and freedom.
- Full coverage of the humanities discusses all the important disciplines and examines their connection to prominent social themes. Students are encouraged to explore how the arts and social themes relate to their own lives.
- Featuring individual treatment of disciplines and themes, the book's topical organization allows students to explore one artistic mode or social theme at a time, rather than having to cover multiple disciplines and/or themes in each chapter, which is the case in chronologically organized texts.
- Flexible organization allows each chapter to stand on its own. Tthe book can be taught in any sequence and can be easily customized to meet the goals of any number of different introductory courses on the Humanities, at both two- and four-year colleges.
- A diverse range of traditional and contemporary examples of all of the arts strives to familiarize students with the worldwide reach of the humanities by including many examples by artists from outside the West as well as women and minorities working within Western culture.
- The authors' accessible writing style covers the world of the humanities in a contemporary idiom that students understand and appreciate.
- An impressive visual program offers more than 160 black and white photos and 30 color plates (presented on two eight-page inserts) to provide students with a rich visual appreciation of the arts. All of the images and their captions are tied directly to discussions within the text.
Publisher: Longman, Inc.