Summary: This collection of 24 recent, in-depth articles by noted international, ethnographic art historians and anthropologists is divided into six topical sections--Aesthetic Systems, The Artist as Individual, Art and Social Structure, Passages, Shelter as Symbol, and Continuity and Change in Fourth World Arts-- each with its own introductory essay. The authors careful editing provides a well-balanced selection of artistic traditions from sub-Saharan Africa, the South Pacific,
and the Native New World that covers a full spectrum of media from historical tradition to contemporary performance arts. Each article is profusely illustrated, often with original field photographs and/or museum objects. Each introductory essay includes a supplemental bibliography of related current readings. The coverage focuses on artistic traditions of bothwomen and men.
Summary: This collection of 24 recent, in-depth articles by noted international, ethnographic art historians and anthropologists is divided into six topical sections--Aesthetic Systems, The Artist as Individual, Art and Social Structure, Passages, Shelter as Symbol, and Continuity and Change in Fourth World Arts-- each with its own introductory essay. The authors careful editing provides a well-balanced selection of artistic traditions from sub-Saharan Africa, the South Pacific, and the Native New World that covers a full spectrum of media from historical tradition to contemporary performance arts. Each article is profusely illustrated, often with original field photographs and/or museum objects. Each introductory essay includes a supplemental bibliography of related current readings. The coverage focuses on artistic traditions of bothwomen and men. ...show less
Edition/Copyright:93 Cover: Paperback Publisher:Prentice Hall, Inc. Published: 07/16/1992 International: No
View Table of Contents
I. AESTHETIC SYSTEMS: Knowledge, Beauty, and Power.
1. Arnold Rubin, Accumulation: Power and Display in African Sculpture. 2. Robert F. Thompson, An Aesthetic of the Cool. 3. Adrienne L. Kaeppler,Melody, Drone, and Decoration: Underlying Structures and Surface Manifestations in Tongan Art and Society. 4. Barbara Tedlock,The Beautiful and the Dangerous: Zuni Ritual and Cosmology as an Aesthetic System.
II. THE ARTIST AS INDIVIDUAL.
5. Susan Vogel,The Buli Master, and Other Hands. 6. Adrian A. Gerbands, Talania and Nake, Master Carver and Apprentice: Two Woodcarvers from the Kilenge. 7. Bill Holm,Will the Real Charles Edensaw Please Stand Up?: The Problem of Attribution in Northwest Coast Indian Art.
III. ART AND SOCIAL STRUCTURE.
8. Warren d'Azevedo, Mask Makers and Myth in Western Liberia. 9. Monnie Adams,Kuba Embroidered Cloth. 10. Paula Girshick Ben-Amos, Humans and Animals in Benin Art. 11. Tom Cummins, Kinshape: The Design of Hawaiian Feather Cloak. 12. Stanley Walens,The Weight of My Name Is a Mountain of Blankets: Potlatch Ceremonies.
IV. PASSAGES: Arts of Festival, Ritual, and Initiation.
13. Herbert M. Cole,The Art of Festival in Ghana. 14. Anita J. Glaze, Woman Power and Art in Senufo Village. 15. Ruth B. Phillips, Masking in Mende Sande Society Initiation Rituals. 16. Howard Morphy,On Representing Ancestral Beings. 17. Barbara L. Moulard, Form, Function, and Interpretation of Mimbres Ceramic Hemispheric Vessels.
V. SHELTER AS SYMBOL: Uses and Meanings of Architectural Space.
18. Suzanne Preston Blier, The Dance of Death: Notes on the Architecture and Staging of Tamberma Funeral Performances. l9. Jerome Feldman, Dutch Galleons and South Nias Palaces. 20. Amos Rapoport, The Pueblo and the Hogan: A Cross-Cultural Comparison of Two Response to an Environment.
VI. CONTINUITY AND CHANGE IN FOURTH WORLD ARTS.
21. John Nunley,Purity and Pollution in Freetown Masked Performances. 22. J. C. H. King,Tradition in Native American Art. 23. Marsha Clift Bol, Lakota Beaded Costumes of the Early Reservation Era. 24. Edwin L. Wade,Straddling the Cultural Fence: The Conflict for Ethnic Artists within Pueblo Societies.
List Price: $115.20
Used Currently Sold Out
New Currently Sold Out
Due back 08/14/2015
Save $64.21 (56%)
Free return shipping
21-day satisfaction guarantee
CDs or access codes may not be included
Marketplace sellers starting at $1.99
13 more offers below.
Additional Sellers for Arts of Africa, Oceania, and the Americas : Selected Readings
Just for you, we curate a growing list of independent booksellers, giving you even MORE choices when shopping for your textbooks.
Keep in mind: Marketplace orders do NOT qualify for free shipping.More about the Marketplace
1992-07-16 Paperback UsedGood Good Condition item. We strive to provide the best shopping experience with every item we sell. Satisfaction guaranteed! ! Ships from US. Please allow 1-3 weeks for de...show morelivery outside US. ...show less
$20.00 +$3.99 s/h
A Cappella Books GA Atlanta, GA
Paper Back Fair A little highlighting and pen markings and cover wear; else, good condition.
$57.99 +$3.99 s/h
SUPER BOOKS Fort Mill, SC
Buy with Confidence. Excellent Customer Support. We ship from multiple US locations. No CD, DVD or Access Code Included.
$58.94 +$3.99 s/h
bargainforce Chicago, IL
No comments from the seller
$75.43 +$3.99 s/h
txtbroker Murfreesboro, TN
1st Edition. New. Choose EXPEDITED shipping for faster delivery! g
Free Shipping Get Free Shipping on orders over $25 (not including Rental and Marketplace). Order arrives in 5-10 business days.
Need it faster? We offer fast, flat-rate expedited shipping options.
Not the right book for you? We'll gladly take it back within 30 days.
To return an eTextbook:
Your eTextbook is non-returnable once it's been activated. You must contact us about returning your eTextbook before you activate it.
Returns are accepted within 30 days of the purchase date on your order confirmation.
This book qualifies for guaranteed cash back! Buy it now for , then:
Sell it back by:
Guaranteed cash back:
Cost of this book after cash back:
Take advantage of Guaranteed Cash Back. Send your book to us in good condition before the end of the buyback period, we'll send YOU a check, and you'll pay less for your textbooks!
If you find this book for less on Amazon.com (direct from Amazon, not marketplace sellers), we'll match it.
In our warehouse, waiting to ship directly to you.
We hand-inspect every used textbook to make sure it's in good condition.
Buy it now. Sell it later!
Sell this textbook for cash!
When you're done with this book, sell it back to Textbooks.com. In addition to the best possible buyback price, you'll get an extra 10% cash back just for being a customer.
We buy good-condition used textbooks year 'round, 24/7. No matter where you bought it, Textbooks.com will buy your textbooks for the most cash.
We hand-inspect every one of our used textbooks to ensure good condition.
Our used textbooks do NOT have:
Missing or torn pages
Missing or torn cover
Torn or damaged binding
A broken spine
This textbook has never been used.
Due to the size of eTextbooks, a high-speed internet connection (cable modem, DSL, LAN) is required for download stability and speed. Your connection can be wired or wireless.
Being online is not required for reading an eTextbook after successfully downloading it. You must only be connected to the Internet duringthe download process.
XP or Windows 7 (32 or 64 running in 32 bit mode), or Mac OS 10.6 or above
At least 512 MB RAM, 600 mHZ processor, and 40 MB of hard drive space (75MB for Mac OS)
What is the Marketplace? It's another way for you to get the right price on the books you need. We approved every Marketplace vendor to sell their books on Textbooks.com, so you know they're all reliable.
What are Marketplace shipping options? Marketplace items do not qualify for free shipping. When ordering from the Marketplace, please specify whether you want the seller to send your book Standard ($3.99/item) or Express ($6.99/item). To get free shipping over $25, just order directly from Textbooks.com instead of through the Marketplace.
FREE UPS 2nd Day Air Terms
Rental and Marketplace items are excluded. Offer is valid from 1/21/2013 12:00PM to 1/23/2013 11:59AM CST. Your order must be placed by 12 Noon CST to be processed on the same day. Minimum order value is $100.00 excluding Rental and Marketplace items. To redeem this offer, select "FREE UPS 2ND DAY AIR" at checkout. Offer not is not valid on previous orders.