This edition has also been released as:
Summary: New to This Edition
...show lessEdition/Copyright: 6TH 05
- Expanded discussion of the Gramm-Leach Bliley Act (GLB or Financial Services Modernization) and its impact on banking and financial services appears throughout the text. GLB has opened up new issues such as how to efficiently and effectively regulate combinations of large bank and nonbank businesses.
- New emphasis on investment banking and security underwriting services, ...show more one of the hottest topics in modern banking.
- Ethics in Banking boxes explore the increasingly important field of ethics in banking and financial services and their moral implications.
- Real Banks; Real Decisions boxes emphasize real world management actions and discuss actual problems banking and financial-service managers have been forced to deal with and how their decisions have worked out in practice.
- New Real Numbers for Real Banks project assignments offers the student an opportunity to use data collected from websites, especially the FDIC's, in Excel applications to explore how real banks have addressed the issues presented in each chapter. The assignments in the first five chapters provide the foundation for an ongoing project that gradually unfolds as new chapters are encountered.
- New Standard & Poor's Educational Version of Market Insight problems found at the end of chapter provide short assignments encouraging students to gather up-to-date information about some of the largest financial firms in the world and the industries in which they operate. This information is used to draw conclusions and illustrate concepts.
- New E-banking and E-commerce boxes discuss what banks and their closest competitors have accomplished in the electronic field and the benefits and costs of this rapidly unfolding movement. Their production costs and risks are discussed, along with new information on web-based banks.
- New appendix on the use of the financial calculator is found at the back of the text, illustrating how to calculate the time value of money (TVM), present and future values of cash flows (PV and FV), and the annual percentage rate (APR) on a loan. These basic calculator routines will assist the reader in solving numerous problems that appear throughout the text.
- New Co-Author Sylvia C. Hudgins has enhanced the financial services orientation of Bank Management and Financial Services. She has also created many new practical problems to solve and discuss in class.
- New Title Bank Management and Financial Services, formerly Commercial Bank Management for five editions, captures the changes in this industry where it is now impossible to focus solely on commercial banking.
Publisher: Richard D. Irwin, Inc.
Year Published: 2005
Other Editions of Bank Management and Financial Services: