This edition has also been released as:
Summary: Bank Management and Financial Services is designed to help students master established management principles and to confront the perplexing issues of risk, regulation, technology, and competition that bankers and other financial-service managers see as their greatest challenges for the future. The seventh edition is the most up-to-date discussion of the newest banking and financial-services laws and regulations currently available, encompassing provisions of the new fed ...show moreeral consumer bankruptcy rules (the first major changes in the U.S. bankruptcy code in nearly 30 years) as well as the newest rules concerning electronic banking, customer privacy, and the first major reforms in the FDIC insurance system in more than a quarter of a century. Bank Management and Financial Services also remains the most readable and engaging text on the market, with a plethora of real-world examples and information. Edition/Copyright: 7TH 08
- International banking and financial service material has been expanded, including discussion of the important activities of foreign central banks (such as the People's Bank of China, the European Central Bank, and the Bank of Japan) and of the organizational structure of the banking industry in several leading Asian and European countries.
- Significantly expanded discussion of how banks and other financial-service firms deliver their services via de novo charters, full-service and in-store branches, automated tellers and point-of-sale terminals, telephone banking, and Internet service delivery.
- The seventh edition explores the great structural changes now underway in the financial services industry, including the expanding invasion by Wal-Mart, General Electric, General Motors, and other leading industrial and retail firms into the financial services field.
- Newly recognized forms of risk in the banking and financial-services field are covered in the seventh edition, including strategic risk, operational risk, compliance and legal risk, and reputational risk.
- Select problems are now designated for Microsoft Excel, and instructors will find Excel spreadsheets at the textbook website for each designated Excel Problem.
- The extensive semester-long project--Real Numbers for Real Banks--has been revised and updated from the previous edition to reflect significant changes in web sources of information.
- Expansion of coverage of investment banking and insurance, explaining how three key industries--commercial banking, investment banking, and insurance--are headed on a collision course toward each other with consequences no one can fully appreciate or foresee.
- The seventh edition provides the most up-to-date coverage available of major legal and regulatory changes in the banking and financial services industries, including Check 21, FACT, the Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention Act of 2005, the FDIC Insurance Reform Act of 2006, the Bank Secrecy and Patriot Acts, and Basel II.
- A significant number of new and recently updated problems (including Excel-based problems) are included, yielding fresh problem-solving challenges for instructors and their students.
- A new section on the future of banking and financial services appears at the conclusion of the book.
Publisher: Richard D. Irwin, Inc.
Year Published: 2008
Other Editions of Bank Management and Financial Services: