Summary: Intended to address the need for a concise overview of fundamental geometry topics. Sections 1-7 introduce such topics as angles, polygons, perimeter, area, and circles. In the second part of the text, Sections 8-11 cover congruent and similar triangles, special triangles, volume, and surface area.Edition/Copyright: 03
- A five-step problem-solving strategy throughout the book teaches students to an ...show morealyze the problem, form an equation, solve the equation, state the conclusion, and check the result.
- The greatest strength of the Tussy/Gustafson approach and the key to students' grasp of the language of mathematics is the STUDY SETS, found at the end of each section.
- VOCABULARY, NOTATION and WRITING problems in the STUDY SETS are structured to improve students' ability to read, write, and communicate mathematical ideas.
- CONCEPTS sections in the STUDY SETS reinforce major ideas and foster independent thinking.
- PRACTICE sections in the STUDY SETS provide the drill and practice necessary for mastery of the mathematics.
- APPLICATIONS in the STUDY SETS provide opportunities for students to apply what they've learned to real-life situations.
- Many problems require students to present their solutions in the form of a chart, table, or graph. Students are also asked to read data displays to obtain information necessary to solve problems.
- SELF CHECK problems, adjacent to worked examples, reinforce newly learned skills and help students build confidence by working a similar problem. Students can refer to the solution and Authors' Notes as they solve the Self Check. The answer to each Self Check is printed underneath the problem to give students instant feedback.
Publisher: Brooks/Cole Publishing Co.
Year Published: 2003
Other Editions of Basic Geometry for College Students : An Overview of the Fundamental Concepts of Geometry: